Getting the correct fit

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
I have had trouble getting the correct fit, having just bought a Roubiax Expert only to find its too big! The Specialized brochure says 5'9" - 6" = 56cm. Well thats a "very rough" guide. As I found out its not right for me, as the "standover" was only 31" and that's my inside leg. So I went back to the retailer and they give me a full measurement on Bikefitting.com.

This showed that I ideally needed a 56cm for reach, but 54cm for height, ie leg.

So I now have a 54cm Roubiax Pro with a 120mm stem to give me a bit more reach.

I must have a strange body! short legs and longer body!!!

I would strongly recommend anyone to get a fit done and not rely on the manufacturer.

Thanks for the advice on here.

Flyer

Comments

• nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    flyer wrote:
    I have had trouble getting the correct fit, having just bought a Roubiax Expert only to find its too big! The Specialized brochure says 5'9" - 6" = 56cm. Well thats a "very rough" guide. As I found out its not right for me, as the "standover" was only 31" and that's my inside leg. So I went back to the retailer and they give me a full measurement on Bikefitting.com.

This showed that I ideally needed a 56cm for reach, but 54cm for height, ie leg.

So I now have a 54cm Roubiax Pro with a 120mm stem to give me a bit more reach.

I must have a strange body! short legs and longer body!!!

I would strongly recommend anyone to get a fit done and not rely on the manufacturer.

Thanks for the advice on here.

Flyer

I'm glad you got sorted Flyer, there is nothing more dispiriting than spending your money on something that you realise isn't right. Like you, I would heartily endorse getting a proper fitting before you commit to a new bike. There's nothing strange about not conforming to a standard frame. We are all different. I'm riding a custom steel frame, because I didn't fit properly on anything off the peg. Now you've got the fit right, you can start enjoying your new bike!
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    Have a look at this article on bike fitting. The key part is to test and test again. Never buy before you try!