Tri Bars on a Flat Barred Road Bike! Good Idea or madness?

jwadham
jwadham Posts: 14
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
I am considering buying a Scott Speedster S60 FB road bike and fitting tri bars, does any one have any advice on if this is a good idea or not?

Comments

• I don't see why it shouldn't work, but wouldn't fitting ordinary drops be more useful, in terms of the number of riding positions available?
  • jwadham
    To be honest I currently have a standard Schwinn road bike but don't have the space to store any more bikes so am trying to find a good compromise between a road bike / hybride / mountain bike. In an ideal world I know which 3 bikes I would have but as I don't need to go off road but would like the ability to cycle with my wife and daughter once in a blue moon it seems that a Flat Barred road bike would be a good idea. I've tried a few different bikes over the past year Mountain bike then flat barred road bike, then road bike, then Scott Sub 30 (700cc) then back to road bike so I'm having a bit of a nightmare deciding on one bike to have! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Tricross?

Closest I've seen to a 'do everything' bike.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • beegee
    beegee Posts: 160
    By the way, I think that the difference between the Scott S60 flat bar and the drop bar is more than just the bars. I think that the flat bar has a different frame so that there is clearance for mudguards for example. I think that the drop also might have something to do with carbon fibre in the fork area. Not absolutely sure though.
  • jwadham
    Thanks, I'll have a look at the Tricross and also compare the Scott S60 flatbar and non.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • judokev
    judokev Posts: 49
    Hi there Jwadham,
    The s60 flat bar and s60 are different if you go to www.scottusa.com you can look at them both. The forks are not carbon on the fb from what I have read.

Have you ridden the FB yet ? I have been trying to get feedback about this bike or other Flat bar road bikes as I am coming from a mountain bike and like the upright position, How did you find it compaired to your other bike?

Cheers Kev :lol:
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    What is the point? What are you trying to achieve by doing this?