leathermans

ThatGuyOnABike
ThatGuyOnABike Posts: 198
edited June 2008 in The bottom bracket
i just bought a skeletool from a power seller called kandrsolutions, in america. i just wanted to give them some free advertising cos i paid £35 for something that should cost around £80. plus delivery from america (i'm in U.K) was really fast.

also what do you think of leathermans? the best multi-tool maker or overpriced boy's toys? i love them and when i have money will definatly get a charge TTi.

oh and if your thinking of getting skeletool note that it is not that light (real disapointment) and really is very basic. but impressive looking and the knife is better than on other multi tools, and since the knife is so good you can use the blade for most stuff. definatly invest in the bit tool kit cos many of the bits are useful on bicycles. though seperate bike tool still recommended.
In the valley of high oil prices the cyclist is king!

Comments

• pyro_maniac
    pyro_maniac Posts: 232
    i find leathermans to be a bit overpriced personally, i recommend a gerber though, a bit cheaper and the quality is there still with all the functions you need on it
  • yeh but with gerber it's the little details like the fact most gerbers don't have locking mechanisms (or at least something to make it hard to put back down accidently) on the key tools like knife and saw, leatherman supposidly do on many of the higher end models. on mine it does. plus gerber uses plastic and rubber in places, never a good sign. all metal for me or nothing.
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    I really don't find the handles on the leatherman's comfy. They're designed such that not only do you need to open up the pliers to get any other tools out, but the handle also digs in (because they've had to leave the gap to get the tools through.
    Also, I don't like having to get another tool out to put one away.

I much prefer my Swiss Tool to my mate's Wave. More comfy to use and more sturdy feeling. Heavier, though.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've got a Leatherman Wave (somewhere), it's quality my parent's bought it for me after doing my GCSEs about 6 years ago, it's still in good nick. Knife has gone a bit blunt and somehow I have bent the pliers slightly.

It's lasted all these years and I'd be tempted to get another if I can't find it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • swiss tools are cool but then again no pliers, though who uses them anyway? i do like swiss tools but i don't find the tools to be that strong on the ones i've had. i snapped a knife on one when trying to pry something open. (i can't find mine at the moment so i'm not sure if it is a genuine swiss army tool or a copy which may explain it) but yes they are a lot more comfy. that is definatly true. but style wise a leathman style multi tool looks more manly then a little red thing with a white cross on it (i heard only wenger or victorianox is allowed to use that symbol so mine must be genuine)
  • Big Red S
    swiss tools are cool but then again no pliers, though who uses them anyway?
    I use the pliers on mine quite regularly.
    i do like swiss tools but i don't find the tools to be that strong on the ones i've had. i snapped a knife on one when trying to pry something open.
    I found that on my first one (~4 years ago), but the new Swiss Tool Spirit's got what seems to be a pry-lever. It seems pretty robust so far, in that I've not bent it.
    . but style wise a leathman style multi tool looks more manly then a little red thing with a white cross on it
    Um, mine's silver. It is curvy, though.

'original' Swiss Tool (used to have a serrated blade in place of the scissors)::
    swisstool2.JPG
    Spirit:
    vm_53809_sol_a02.jpg
    Can't see it in that pic, but the Spirit's also got longer-nosed pliers. No ruler, though.
  • pyro_maniac
    pyro_maniac Posts: 232
    yeh but with gerber it's the little details like the fact most gerbers don't have locking mechanisms (or at least something to make it hard to put back down accidently) on the key tools like knife and saw, leatherman supposidly do on many of the higher end models. on mine it does. plus gerber uses plastic and rubber in places, never a good sign. all metal for me or nothing.

both my gerbers have locking on all tools, and neither of them have rubber or plastic (well the compact 400 has plastic covers over the locks but they are metal underneath)
  • wow, big red s, i didn't know victorianox did tools like that. those look awesome, i thought you were talking about thoses ones that are the shape of a band aid and don't split in half to reveal pliers, like the victorianox champ. where do you get those?

locking on all the tools of a gerber, huh, i was told they didn't do that. i'll take that up with my friend. still prefer leatherman to gerber though except for pure knives, gerber do things like the paraframe, kiowa and stuff. and the gerber gaitor (machete) looks cool but what am i gonna do with it other than get arrested.
  • chuggalong
    chuggalong Posts: 221
    Does anyone know in which country Leatherman tools are made?

I have a Squirt model which is compact and well made. I know that Leatherman is American but it's not stamped with a country of manufacture.

I am just curious and not being critical.

You can\'t be optimistic if you\'re wearing misty optics.
  • Big Red S
    I know they've got a huge factory in the states, and my Sideclip and mate's Wave said they were US manufactured on the box.

So I'm guessing US manufacture, but they might be doing an Orange, and only doing the trademark ones in the west.
  • I have a very old Gerber which goes almost everywhere with me.

Whatever its deficiencies, I like feeling like a pliers-wielding gangsta when I flick out the jaws.

It's da coolest tool in da hood, ya fill me? :)
    John Stevenson
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I have a Leatherman Fuse and think it's one of the best made things on the planet.

Come the nuclear meltdown, there will be two things left: cockroaches and my Fuse.

Seriously handy as well. It has saved a lot of time rummaging through toolboxes and cupboards!
  • i just used my leatherman to remove hundreds of staples while clearing paperwork. ARGH!!! i'l be having staple nightmares tonight!
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Does anyone find it strange that no women are contributing to this thread? :roll:
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • good point mike... strange