Which company makes the nicest looking bikes???

Steve_F
Steve_F Posts: 682
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
I know this is probably opening up a whole can of worms but it would be interesting to see what the general opinion is on beautiful bikes.

I rode the Edinburgh -> St Andrews ride at the weekend and was eyeing up the selection of Bianchi, Pinarellos, Planet X and I have to say the the offerings from Cannondale were right up there for me, enough to make me look on their website first thing today.

So, who do you think makes the best looking bikes?
Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
+ cheap road/commuting bike

Comments

• Mystique
    Mystique Posts: 342
    For me, it's either Look or Wilier. Just finished London to Paris & one of the guys had a Focus Cayo - Also a really nice looking bike in the flesh/ carbon.
  • tonyp71
    tonyp71 Posts: 52
    Got to be Orbea in my opinion, I am biased tho because I have one!! :)
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    I have a bit of a soft spot for retro styled Italian steel roadies....Here are a couple...
    L1010426.JPG
    De Rosa Neo Primato
    masterpr82.JPG
    Colnago Master E-Light
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    When I do cyclosportives I never cease to be amazed by the stunning bikes around. I own a Scott CR1 which isn't really up there in the good look stakes but is a great bike. My best bike however is not only a great ride but IMHO looks stunning. It's a Pinarello Prince. I wouldn't swap it for anything but I like Orbeas, Looks and Williers. Quite like Ridley as well. There are some nice looking titanium bikes as well.

And the Felt TT bike is truly stunning.

Personally I hate the retro bikes.
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    edited June 2008
    It's a totally subjective one isn't it? But at least that means we can all pitch in with some suggestions...

For me there's always been some Colnagos that look fabulous, but just as many that look hideous. I think you could level the same criticism at many bike companies - especially the Italian ones. Bianchi have produced some pretty nasty efforts whe trying to combine other colours with the famous celeste.

Orbea do some pretty bikes - but the full day-glo orange Euskaltel efforts of a few years ago don't win them any points for style (OK - so sponsorship dictated the colours, but the design is still down to them).

Cervelo? Stylish top end bikes. But have they been around enough to establish themselves as a contender? And their lower-spec Alu Triathlon frames are ugly.

I think I've got to agree with mystique's posting above and say Look - the reason why is that all their bikes are stylish - often subtle - but they all look good. You can take something from this year, 10 years, even 20 years ago and they all appear fine. Maybe it's more than just colour schemes, maybe it's angles, fork sizes, whatever... But pick any Look bike from any era and you know it'll be decent looking. Not the best, but consistently very good.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    De Rosas look the best, when I can afford one they are on my shopping list (even if the warranty support in this country is dodgy).

Some of the Colnagos look very good, but some of the paint schemes look a bit dated (the mainly white ones look the best) although I'm sure I'd change my tune if I saw them in the flesh.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Fixie Inc. - see the WANT link in my signature.

I saw a beautiful white Colnago in Richmond park around 9/10am Sunday - anyone here own it? I was very lustful.
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    Got to agree with Redddragon too -

De Rosa - I don't recall ever having seen an ugly one (despite my above complaints about the 'style' of some Italian bikes)
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Pinarello, end of thread surely. No I dont own one :cry: . Although I havent actually seen many of the bikes listed in the flesh, its all Condors and Treks down here, no I dont own one of those either.
  • HarryB
    Can we make a list? How about everyone lists their top five? Here's mine

Pinarello
    Look
    Wilier
    Orbea
    Ridley

Mind, I do like De Rosa as well. Agree about Colnago. Some are the dogs bollocks and others are hideous
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Ash_ wrote:
    Got to agree with Redddragon too -

De Rosa - I don't recall ever having seen an ugly one (despite my above complaints about the 'style' of some Italian bikes)

The De Rosa Tango is one fugly beast, although all other De Rosa's are very nice to look at (white Idols look the mutts nutts). It seems that the Italians have the edge when it comes to style and flair - I still love the clean lines on my Kuota Kharma 3 years on, and a Kebel would be in the running come time to change, and I also prefer the looks of my Bianchi over similar priced American offerings. Pinarello's, Colnagos (except the odd garish paint scheme), Wiliers, Viners - to name but a few. Not saying they are better, but Itailian bikes definitly look better IMHO.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    I have a thing for older Italian steel as well, I don't know why but things like a chrome fork understated paint jobs and horizontal skinny tubed bikes bring out the kid in me. So Colnago, Rossin, Gios, Tommasini etc of the right vintage would be my best looking bikes.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Isaac or Storck
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    HarryB wrote:
    ... My best bike however is not only a great ride but IMHO looks stunning. It's a Pinarello Prince...

Seconded. A beautiful bike.
  • biondino
    To me it looks too fussy and I just don't like that wavy seat stay effect.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Got to be Orbea for me. I know I own one but so what. If funds allow in the future I would buy an Orca just on looks alone. As a flanker I think for classic looks Mercian are the dogs.
  • redddraggon
    biondino wrote:

I'm not too fond of Princes either, they don't look like frames worth £2700
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Ash_ wrote:
    I think I've got to agree with mystique's posting above and say Look - the reason why is that all their bikes are stylish - often subtle - but they all look good. You can take something from this year, 10 years, even 20 years ago and they all appear fine. Maybe it's more than just colour schemes, maybe it's angles, fork sizes, whatever... But pick any Look bike from any era and you know it'll be decent looking. Not the best, but consistently very good.

I'm biased 'cause I own a KG241, but will happily agree. I've always had a soft spot for the old-style lugged & glued Looks with the small-diameter tubes, and am glad I've finally got round to owning one!
    Retro Italian steel such as the De Rosa Primato or Colnago Master Olympic gets a vote from me too.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • HarryB
    biondino wrote:

I'm not too fond of Princes either, they don't look like frames worth £2700

What do £2,700 frames look like then? Serious question BTW
  • schilbach
    schilbach Posts: 101
    I really like the understated classic look of the Sunday Bicycles.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    i'll go with wilier.......................which is why I bought one!

Do like de rosa tho.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    I'd go with Look. I wonder why I didn't get one.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Still going with Pinarello, as my choice of prettiest bike 8) . I know why Im not going to get one though. :(

Same reason Im not going to get an Aston Martin :lol: .
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    edited June 2008
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Pinarello Prince is a stunner, some really nice Ridleys and Colnagos, the Orbea Orca is a beaut as is the Wilier Cento. I think the Cento would be my first choice. Izoard is rather pretty too. I'd orginally planned on a Mortirolo but that went all to hell when I saw the Izoard in the flesh/carbon. A Cento was way out of my reach though. :(
  • redddraggon
    thumbde0.jpg

frameextremectwbklw0.jpg

My two favourite bikes at the moment. Shame I can't really afford either yet - I need to graduate and get a proper job first.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Jez mon wrote:
    Isaac or Storck

I have the Storck Scenario 0.9 and it looks great. I get lots of comments about it and more so because they are quite scarce. I have never seen another one at any sportive that I have done.
    Brian B.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    AEROTIC_frei_sRGB72.jpg
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • biondino
    redddragon, that's the Colnago I was eyeing up in Richmond Park on Sunday. Very sexy.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Well I like my prince and dolan :D
    I have to say I like the Pinarello Montelloo also, all their bikes are good looking.
    How the fxxk do you insert pics? I tried :
    [img]http://image_url[/img] (alt+p)

This did not work, I tried the tags manually, I also tried clicking Img button, then insert url, then select Img again, that did not work either !!