Touring bikes

lamchop
lamchop Posts: 36
edited June 2008 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

From my last thread, it seems I'm being pointed in the direction of touring bikes. It's for a hilly 18 mile (each way) road commute, for a novice biker. Bearing in mind my choice of bike can only be from Evans (Ride2Work scheme), and I have price range of up to £500 (coz i'm poor)... I have only been able to come up with a few options. They are:

Ridgeback Voyage 2008 Touring Bike (http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86813)

Claud Butler Regent 2008 Touring Bike (http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=87633)

Or do you think a hybrid more suited for the road would be better, at the price range i'm looking at?

Opinions would be much appreciated coz I'm crap at making decisions!

Comments

• Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    What are the roads like? How much stuff do you carry? What're you riding at the minute?
  • lamchop
    Apart from the hills, the roads are not too bad.

I live just north of central london, so there a few cycle lanes and you get your typical road works and a few pot holes here and there. But on the whole it isn't that bad.

At the moment I dont ride anything... but occasionally ride a Trek mountain bike at work (definately not suited for a the road)
  • horizon
    horizon Posts: 91
    Look at the Edinburgh Bicycle Country Traveller. Bargain at £400 and C+ liked it a lot. Ideal for your hilly commuting. www.edinburghbicycle.com
  • lamchop
    Yeah I saw that one, and it's got good reviews from a couple of reviewers... problem is Evans do not stock it. Unfortunately my choice of bike has to come from Evans. :(
  • horizon
    horizon Posts: 91
    The nearest equivalent would be the Dawes Horizon, slightly over budget, but worth it. The 08 model has reverted to a steel frame which is good news. I have one of the 2004 steel frames after which they switched to aluminium. 9000 miles later mine is still going strong, albeit with new bb and headset.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    If you aren't bothered about speed, go with the Ridgeback, good spec for the money

Otherwise, I'd be tempted by a road bike with a triple eg Spesh Allez, kitted with clip on guards. Or a Giant SCR3.

Dawes only if you're into wearing sandals with socks and you have a beard :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • lamchop
    Oh... and I won't have to carry too much, as I can always leave my kit at work and change when I get in.
  • lamchop
    How much slower is the ridgeback compared to an entry level road bike i.e. trek 1.2?

Are the components of the 1.2 really that bad?