swansea clubs

deal
deal Posts: 857
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
does anyone have any experience of cycling clubs in swansea ? I know of swansea wheelers and schmoos. trying to figure out which one would be the better fit for me...im mainly looking to join a club so i can ride with other people, learn new routes and hopefully get fitter and faster.

im still what i would call a beginner having only been riding regulary on the road since around March, i typically ride a couple of 1-2 hour rides midweek and a 45 mile ride most weekends (all alone :cry: ), i recently completed the shorter dragon ride route but at a not terribly fast pace, my aim was to finish as I didnt feel properly prepared, my longest ride before hand was just 45 miles with no significant climbs.

I understand swansea wheelers start there rides from llansamlet and hold a monthly introductory which appeals, i have no idea where schmoos set off from or if they hold a similar ride.

would be greatfull for any information and advice, cheers

Comments

• faaj
    faaj Posts: 66
    edited May 2009
    wow couldnt belive it when i saw the word swansea in the forum.

About clubs, schmoos start at blackpill/dunvant and their main club centre if i know correctly is in dunvant rugby club (on the side of the clyne valley cycle route)
    - Thier old team website http://www.schmoosofswansea.co.uk/2400/frames.php (just look around get some info from there - Scroll down and click on Team Schmoos).
    - Swansea wheelers website - http://www.swanseawheelers.co.uk/
  • deal
    im normally wearing all black, i also have giant scr 2! as well as a pedalforce carbon framed bike that i built up myself (in red and black, link below), i didnt need the 2nd bike and am 100% happy with the giant but i wanted it :oops:

http://pedalforce.com/online/images/RS2-frameset-red.jpg

im from sketty myself and pass bishopston on my usual route, just uploaded it here - http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Gower-Loop156707

and thankyou for the information, it sounds like schmoos location is a much better fit, think i will pop into the shop sometime in the week and ask a few questions
  • faaj
    heh yo have a very similar route to me, i enjoy going from mumbles round bracelet bay, newton, langland then caswell up to bishopston then on the common to the A-road then up around north gower. well ill hopefully be seeing you then ;)
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    here are two

Bynea
    www.byneacc.co.uk/

Swansea Wheelers
    www.swanseawheelers.co.uk/
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • faaj
    just saw a roadie in all black in gower today, wearing a yellowish helmet and was cycling with a friend in a reddish jersey?
  • deal
    no not me sorry, i normally wear a black helmet, black jersey with a bit of white, and black shorts, if i see someone matching your discription will be sure to shout something, i just hope i dont look to silly when i get the wrong person :oops:
  • jackfeeder
    jackfeeder Posts: 269
    Just to sy hello - I ride the same routes round Gower and am from Killay.
    Did either of you do the Dragon ride - what were your times? I did 5.14 for the 120k ride, should have gone a bit better but with it being my first sportive I made a few mistakes. Felt ok at the finish which means I should have gone a bit harder.
    It would be nice to see how your training rides leading up to the Dragon ride compared with what I was doing.
    Did you go along to any club runs? I am a bit nervous about taking that step as I am unsure of whether or not I would be able to keep up the pace!
    A good ride from our area is to head over to Ammanford way, there are some tough hills over that way and depending on your route you can make it even harder - good prep for the Dragon ride I found.
    I am riding a silver/white converted Carrera Gryphon (Halfords), put drops on it and 105 shifters etc - rides quite nice. Could do with a better bike though, will have to save up for next year.
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • jackfeeder
    By the way do any of you ever go up Lunnon hill by Parkmill - it's a b******. Any idea of the % gradient, I can't find any values for it, just for interest sake.
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • deal
    just had a quick look at that hill in memory map and it has two arrows which indicates maximum gradient is greater than 20% !

Yeh i did the 120km dragon but I was not very well prepared, my riding time was roughly 5:20 but could have been less, I took it easy most of the way around since my previous longest ride was just 45 miles, also got a puncture on the 2nd ascent of the bwlch and had trouble starting again, couldnt seem to get into a rhythm and took a few attempts to get going again :x

No havent been on any club rides, and like you im not sure i could keep up :lol: I was hoping a member of one of the swansea based clubs would happen to read this thread and give us some information
  • faaj
    edited May 2009
    A road which takes me up past swansea airport to north gower and upper killay.

BTW - good idea would be to while bumping into a roadie in gower, just tag along with him and see if you can keep up. That usually gives you a good indication on how good you need to be.
  • thexvw
    thexvw Posts: 135
    I'm from Swansea as well, started back cycling last August, mainly commuting into town from Killay. I'd like to do more rides around Gower but just don't have the time at the moment.

We could start our own club !
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    I've ridden with Swansea Wheelers a few times. The Sunday ride is fairly relaxed for the most part and quite social. There are of course the sprints and hill climbs which are quite competitive but they do wait for anyone that gets dropped. I was unsure on my first ride whether I'd be able to keep up but managed to hang on ok and the experience of riding in a big group is just awesome and very worth it.
  • jackfeeder
    Sounds good - so if you can manage 15-16mph average then that should be fine I assume?
    Bunch riding is something I would like to do more of as doing the Dragon next time would be much more enjoyable so i will probably go along and see how I go.
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Yeah that's probably about my average speed on bumpy solo rides around here so you should be alright. I believe the club ride this Sunday is the BHF Gower Bike Ride so might be a good opportunity to tag along, I just signed up for that online.
  • winkywonky
    winkywonky Posts: 228
    Is Parkmill the climb up through the trees just after the road narrows? I occaionally cycle around Swansea when I visit my girlfriends parents in the uplands. Swansea and the surrounding areas are really beautiful. Just reading the thread here I don't think anybody is going to get dropped on a club run, cycling in the bunch makes everything alot easier, climbs that are hard work on your own are over and done with without you even noticing. Plus the buzz of being in the bunch makes the pain go away!
  • jackfeeder
    Parkmill is where the hertage centre and shop/cofee shop is on the right (past the Gower Inn). Lunnon hill is just before the coffee shop on the right, it's a small lane that starts steep then kicks up worse about halfway up.
    The road then comes out on the other common road that runs behind/opposite the airport.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=parkmill
  • mozwyn69
    mozwyn69 Posts: 170
    As well as the aforementioned clubs there are an informal bunch who meet at the Woodman pub car park every Thursday and Tuesday evenings about 6.30pm. I joined them a once last year, they ride a race pace so be prepared to hang on. I struggle with organised rides being a shift worker but I probably know every inch of Gower’s roads. I tend to go up the Bwlch / Rhigos / Back Mountains for my long runs and use Gower for short sessions. Parkmill hill (behind Shepards shop) is steep but the steepest has to be the one in Llanmorlais leading up the the Welsh Moor road.
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself
    before you can find anything.
  • caeser
    caeser Posts: 8
    hi all my name is Julian member of team schmoos . Team schmoos is a growing club started last year to try and get more riders together.We a trying to start rides on sunday leaving from county hall at 9.30. We dont use Dunvant rc anymore and are looking for a new base.
    I would be happy to hear from anyone who wants to ride as a group or join the club you can contact me in the shop (schmoos) on tuesday & saturday 01792 467070,the club webb site is team schmoos.org.uk.
    see you on the road
  • MartinL
    MartinL Posts: 102
    caeser wrote:
    hi all my name is Julian member of team schmoos . Team schmoos is a growing club started last year to try and get more riders together.

I remember Schmoos from the late 80's/early 90's. Maurice Levenson used to organise some excellent mtb races at Afan Argoed ( 5 times up the Wall :shock: ). I used to hate being lapped by somebody wearing flo yellow and pink! Used to see a few guys from Schmoos racing the Welsh CX races a few years ago (Steve Roe?)

So is Team Schmoos the same as True Schmoos on the WCU website?
  • Hi all, im new on this forum. I have been cycling for a long time and i hve cycled for various clubs but i havent found one suitable for me. I am a member of
    schmoos. I have been offered to meet up this weekend to meet up with
    Swansea Wheelers for a club ride on Sunday, 60 miles to the moutain centre. When i spoke to them on the phone they were every helpful and interested i need to get out more often to test my abiliy and fitness. I cycle mosg days 10 to 15 miles before i go to work and i also work out in the gym. : :D