Genesis iO

davman
davman Posts: 31
edited June 2008 in Commuting chat
Evening

Moving home four months ago has given me the opportunity to commute 10.5 miles each way to work by bike, using this route;

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ride-to-work90372

I'm doing this on my Condor Fratello, which is a great bike.

Thinking ahead to when conditions will inevitably get worse, i'm looking to get a commuting bike with discs and an internal rear gear (Shimano Alfine). I can get this through the Cycle2Work scheme. The route is exposed to the elements and is subject to high traffic levels which necessitate riding on the path on the uphill section. Doing this on the Fratello in the winter may not be such an enjoyable experience.

My LBS sells Genesis bikes and has quoted me for the iO with an Alfine set-up. The link to the Genesis site is;

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/index.php ... _bike=TRUE

Has anyone got one of these bikes or an Alfine equipped bike? If so, what are they like? Are the gears as good and reliable as the reviews seem to suggest?

Cheers

Simon

Comments

• markybhoy67
    markybhoy67 Posts: 346
    Hi, I have just got back on a bike for the first time in about twenty years.

I decided to treat myself to a bike that I hope will be low maintenance so I get a Ridgeback Nemesis as it has an enclosed gear box (alfine).

I do a 10 mile each way commute from East Kilbride to Glasgow, EK is high above Glasgow so it is an easy ride in but a bugger going home as it is almost all up hill, I think it is something like 700 feat higher.

The gears are excellent for both journeys.
  • amircp
    amircp Posts: 132
    I did a roadtest of a Bianchi Camaleonte with Alfine gears. These were impressively smooth and range would not be a problem around Edinburgh. The bike was also surprisingly light. I am now awaiting for the Bike-to-Work scheme to come through (soon I hope!) before I buy this or a Giant Escape Sub Zero. Shame it's difficult to get hold of a drop bar version but I would rather not go through another winter with derailleurs.