SPD to flat adapters

pincherrn
pincherrn Posts: 5
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi,
Can anybody tell me where I can get a pair of adapters for my SPD pedals to turn one side to flats. My mate has them on his pedals but they didn't come with the pedals I bought. Checked all the usual places but unless I know exactly what to ask for I can't find them.

Cheers

Colin

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What pedals are they? Your best bet would be to simply buy a pair of flat pedals - will work much better too.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Do the ones on yer mates bike have reflectors on 'em? If so they are not really convertors, but just adaptors for the reflectors. They are fitted from new to bikes that come with SPD's as its a legal requirment to sell with pedal reflectors.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I know exactly what you mean and I'm pretty sure you can buy them aftermarket but I have no idea what they are called!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    I've never seen them on sale after market. They come on new bikes to make it easier to test ride them, and so they have pedal reflectors.
    Chances are, if you ask at your local spd-equipped-bike-selling LBS, they'll either have a pair you can have, or be able to hold one. Though the ones for Egg Beaters don't really give a platform at all.

It is worth bearing in mind that they're designed for little more than the odd ride round the block, and so don't have such great grip or strength. Personally, I'd suggest you get either flat pedals, or half-and-halves like Shimano's M324s.
  • I think I might have a couple in a draw in the garage, where abouts are you based?
  • pincherrn
    pincherrn Posts: 5
    Hi,
    Thanks for all that, I still have flats on at the minute and just bought a cheap set of SPD pedals to give them a try.
    I'm based in High Wycombe, (Mancunianfightingcat)
    Yeah thought about going to the shimano LBS and asking. May go down tomorrow lunchtime.

Thanks for the help.

Colin
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    They have then in Decathlon for Shimano spd pedals, never used them so don’t know if they are any good.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/mtb-cages-3885152/