Best bike for under £1000 - road or Tri?

bertster
bertster Posts: 2
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
After using a MTB for many years for recreation I've now started to get back on the road using an old Team Banana bike. Somehow I've said yes to a Lands End / John O'Groats trip for charity in a month's time and need a new bike. The problem is I have a budget of £1000 with my employer to make use of the tax free bike scheme offered by the government. I've read great reports on both the :

Focus Izalco Tria 2008
Focus Cayo 2008

both at £999.99, one's for the road and one's for Triathlon. My preference is the Tria 2008 as I would have more use for it after the LEJOG trip, however I'm a bit concerned that it maybe a too agressive riding position for a average day of 100 miles, as obviously over that distance I need some comfort. Therefore I'm asking all you enthusists for your advice on the two bikes or any others I should look at for my budget. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• kafkathedog
    kafkathedog Posts: 242
    The Tria would probably be a little uncomfortable for multiple long day cycles.

If you give yourself plenty of time to get use to before hand maybe ok.

Alternatively get the cayo and set up for TT/ Tri use after the event by changing the bars and stem.
    Cayo would be a better all rounder in my opinion, maybe not so aero but 2kg lighter.