reassurance needed

philjensam
philjensam Posts: 12
Please can someone just reassure me a little as I am panicking like hell, i am ding the Raid Pyrenean and I only have a double compact 50/34 and 12/25 gearing will this be ok, I am quite fit and about 92kg so i know I will struggle a bit, but getting really worried!!!!

Comments

• vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    worry not! The important thing is to get into a comfy rhythm.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    I rode it in 1996 on a 53/39 double with a 13-26 cassette. Oh the folly of youth!

I'm sure you'll be fine with your far more sensible gearing. Enjoy it, it's a fantastic week of cycling.
  • Belt and braces - fit a triple.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    philjensam wrote:
    Please can someone just reassure me a little as I am panicking like hell, i am ding the Raid Pyrenean and I only have a double compact 50/34 and 12/25 gearing will this be ok, I am quite fit and about 92kg so i know I will struggle a bit, but getting really worried!!!!

It's typically later on in a ride when hills become more problematic - you'll likely be ok earlier on - as mentioned previously, a Triple will give you more scope for easy spinning as the gradients get steeper.
  • I'm taking a 30x25 to the Marmotte.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    philjensam wrote:

Three things you can do if you're thinking you need more gearing.
    1. Buy a 33 tooth front chainring(TA Specialites).
    2. Buy a 12-27 cassette.
    3. Buy a single 27 tooth rear cog and use it. You with have to leave out one of the
    loose smaller gears to make room for it but it's not a big deal.
    I use a 50-33 and 12-27 for riding in the Colorado rockies and it does me pretty well.
    Always nice to have a bit more than you may really need and then be very happy
    when you come to that steep section where you actually need it.

Dennis Noward
  • CarKiller
    CarKiller Posts: 60
    Panic not!

If you're doing an organized coach trip like with Baxters, you'll be on your best bike, traveling light, with company, and you can stop for food whenever. The coach will be en route with extra gear and food.

You'll be totally fine with 34x25.

That's well small enough for the passes involved. I did it in 2002 on 39x27. And I only used that on the Portet d'Aspet (which is fairly short), and the final two k of the Tourmalet.

Relax, enjoy it.