Other motives for biking

beanston1975
beanston1975 Posts: 66
edited August 2008 in The Crudcatcher
When I go out on a ride I have another motive adise from the usual exercise and fun. When I pack my stuff I have the normal puncture repair kit, spare tube, mobile phone, tyre levers, multitool, energy gel, etc., but I also pack my camera and binoculars as I have a dark secret.....I am a nature lover!!

There is nothing more satisfying to me than going out for a ride, finding a nice secluded spot, stopping for a while and waiting to see what will come out! In recent weeks I have been treated with fallow deer, barn owls, ferrets, numerous birds, and a fox.

Sure the binos and camera adds a few punds to my pack but I reckon it's more than worth the effort!

Does anyone else have a similar affliction?
My Build is almost complete - I just need some wheels and pedals!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I wouldn't say that I go out on the bike for the purpose of taking pictures, but I do almost always carry a camera, in case i see something that catches my attention.
    Sometimes, you just get a day where the light is perfect, and the scenery looks astounding, and it's a shame to miss a great photo opportunity.

The only time I don;t carry a camera is when I'm planning on going big, in case I break the camera.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Half the reason I ride is because of this - I love the great outdoors, and the lanndscape and nature around sheffield is simply stunning.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Well, I wish I had a camera, to take some pictures from the places I ride but...
    Mostly I ride because it's better than walking on foot in the mountains,
    and when you get up to the top and if you don't carry a bike with you, you'll say to your self
    "Ahh, I wish I had a bicycle to storm down this path".
    Other reason, is because I like nature a lot, the smells of the flowers, clean air, great views, the quiet and also you get fit riding the bike, and you get some adrenalin doze. :D
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...I love being outdoors. I get a caged feeling if I have to stay in too long. I ride everyday and have an off road route home from work. One of the reasons I ride is that I like looking at maps...I have some old maps of the area, and I like to compare the present with the past...how old lanes become tracks how villages wax and wane and disappear...I have a map of Roman Britain and I like to trace the ancient roads that in lot's of places have turned into modern main roads or are only traceable as bridle ways...I like to read the landscape and find the layers of how things change...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • keith
    keith Posts: 1,149
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...I love being outdoors. I get a caged feeling if I have to stay in too long. I ride everyday and have an off road route home from work. One of the reasons I ride is that I like looking at maps...I have some old maps of the area, and I like to compare the present with the past...how old lanes become tracks how villages wax and wane and disappear...I have a map of Roman Britain and I like to trace the ancient roads that in lot's of places have turned into modern main roads or are only traceable as bridle ways...I like to read the landscape and find the layers of how things change...

That sounds quite interesting. How did you get hold of the old maps?
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I take loads of picture on rides,the Welsh mountains are incredible viewpoints with some stunning views.My mates often get annoyed at me for stopping though so I tend to try not to do it too often these days. :roll:
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    We get huge amounts of wildlife in our garden (mostly quite wild and several acres) - foxes, the odd deer, badgers, loads of egrets, woodpeckers, buzzards, the odd peregrine falcon, etc but still love getting out and about in the wilds.

Might cut an MTB track in the woods one day!
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Matt you should definately cut some Trails in your woodland,It would be brilliant to shape your own Singletrack right there in your back garden!! Perfect for a quick blast after work !
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Let us know when Matt, I'll be there with my tent and an axe!
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Would be a mission (mostly woodland) but worth it - got the most evil strimmer/brushcutter you can get but I think more heavy duty stuff would be needed.

Hmmm....
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    Keith,

http://leisure.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/lei ... pping.html

Ordance Survey are publishing them to the same scale as Landranger...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • count me in, that would be awesome, love trail cutting, few beers and a bbq after, sitting by a tent, ha genius :-)
    Biking and Surf Nazi
  • Bikedevil
    Bikedevil Posts: 1,156
    I'm an adrenaline junkie, used to be a high board diver before I started riding, oh and the freedom it gives.
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

For everything & anything pointless
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Sometimes i take my camera, but not that often as i like to separate my hobbies. If there is a sweet bit of single track i don't really want to stop to take photos. But if i go out photographing, i walk.

Tbh i just love the country side and being outdoors 8)