A day of firsts........

Baytt
Baytt Posts: 102
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
well got my Orbea Onix the other day and finally got out on it for a decent ammount of time today....... its a damn site better than the revolution pathfinder hybrid that i was using before. Much much faster, easier on hills and so much more fun coming back down them :)

well was out on it outside dunfermline coming down to a roundabout downhill. it was raining but didnt think to much of it . was going left at the roundabout , started to turn but the back just slid out. went completely sideways. hit the pavement hard , damaging me new shimano shoes. scrapped chest hand and elbow :( oh and ego ofcourse. though the bikes fine . first thing i checked lol

just wondering is that normal for the type of tires on that bike (slicks, no tread really) or could there have been something else down on the road that might have caused that to happen .

Comments

• Beeblebrox
    Beeblebrox Posts: 145
    Could well have been some oil, especially if the rain have lifted it from the road.

Sounds painful... but at least you'll repair yourself for free!
  • in my experience yes, they will slip all over the place in the wet if the road isn't smooth.

cobbles on the royal mile this evening i had to jump off a few times..
  • Baytt
    the road was outside a building site of new flats/houses. Like most the roads in Dunfermline, so it is usually covered in a thin layer of mud/dust.
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    Also, when tyres are brand new, they may have a residue of the mould releasing compound on them that is used as part of the manufacturing process - which I believe is silicon based. This would be VERY slippy on wet roads.

It is always recommended that you "scrub in" a new tyre gently to effectively remove this residue. In other words - don't go chucking it round corners in the wet to start with :? :? This applies to all tyres not just bicycle ones.

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Gary D wrote:
    ... It is always recommended that you "scrub in" a new tyre ...
    Eh? :shock: I've never heard or read of that, anywhere, ever! Links, please.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    It is something I was always told from my motorcycling days. I've even been told on more than one occasion when having new tyres on my car.

If you Google "scrubbing in new tyres" you will find lots of info.
    If someone comes along and says bike tyres are made differently than motorcycle ones then I am wrong and I am being misleading. However, I can't see that there would be a difference?

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    From bikegirl:
    bikegirl wrote:
    Scrubbing in tyres
    When you buy one or a pair of new tyres you must "scrub" or "bed" them in for a while. Every new tyre is covered with surface oils from the manufacturing process, plus some stickers which can be hard to completely remove. Run your finger over the outside of the tyre and you'll feel how slick it is. Bedding in means that you take it easy for around 50 miles until the surface residues have been worn off on the road. Taking it easy means being very careful round roundabouts and corners and doing your best to avoid the usual slippery surfaces such as white lines and manhole covers. You should progressively increase the angle of lean as you feel more confident in the tyres' sticking power. After you've bedded them in, run your finger over the tyre again - you won't be able to because it will be slightly sticky and warm. Job done, go play.
    I see! That makes sense now.

When I read your inital post I thought that you meant to go over the tyres with a multi-sander or something. :D
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    It was th exact conditions yesterday for the roads to be super greasy, dry and dusty for a few days then a downpour of rain. Was probably very slippy for people in cars too, would expect you wouldn't have had that bad a slide if it had been raining enough to clean the road.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Baytt
    that road is pretty much a building site all along it. constant diggers and trucks going along it.so it gets very dusty and generally crap :) it hadnt been raining that long to :(
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Gary D wrote:
    It is something I was always told from my motorcycling days. I've even been told on more than one occasion when having new tyres on my car.
    Last time I replaced the tyres on my car, I was getting power-on and lift-off oversteer at anything above 20mph :shock:
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Baytt wrote:
    well got my Orbea Onix the other day and finally got out on it for a decent ammount of time today....... its a damn site better than the revolution pathfinder hybrid that i was using before. Much much faster, easier on hills and so much more fun coming back down them :)

well was out on it outside dunfermline coming down to a roundabout downhill. it was raining but didnt think to much of it . was going left at the roundabout , started to turn but the back just slid out. went completely sideways. hit the pavement hard , damaging me new shimano shoes. scrapped chest hand and elbow :( oh and ego ofcourse. though the bikes fine . first thing i checked lol

just wondering is that normal for the type of tires on that bike (slicks, no tread really) or could there have been something else down on the road that might have caused that to happen .

Welcome to the club! Got an Onix earlier this year and have loved riding it every time I've been out. I don't know what tyres you've got but I use Lithiums and haven't had any problems in the wet(not that I have been out very much in the rain). I do adjust my riding though in the wet, trying to ride like I used to on my motorbike. Keep the bike as upright as possible by shifting my weight to the inside and pressing down on the outside foot as I go round the bend.