Help... I'm confused...

lamchop
lamchop Posts: 36
edited June 2008 in Commuting chat
Please help. I have decided to join the "Ride2Work" scheme, as it will save me loads on petrol money. However, I'm a complete noob and cannot decide on what bike to get.

I'll be using the bike mainly to commute to and from work, which is approximately 18 miles each way. The route I'll have to take is quite hilly as I'll have to take back roads (dont think I can cycle on the A406!), and bear in mind the condition of the roads aren't great in a lot of places. I will rarely be riding in the city.

I'm a 27 year old male, about 5'5", and I'd say I was pretty fit having run a marathon in a decent time, plus I do lots of other sports. I'm really looking forward to getting a bike, not only will I be saving money, but I'll be keeping my fitness up with a long commute.

I'm pretty sure that a mountain bike is out of the question, as from what I've read it'll be too much hard work and too slow. Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm extremely lazy in the technical sense and do not want to keep changing tyres around.

My budget is upto about £450, which leaves me to decide between a hybrid and an entry level road bike. My problem is there are so many different hybrids, and few entry level road bikes (I can only choose bikes from Evans). The hybrid I have fallen for is the Scott Speedster P45 08, as it looks good and I've been told it is good on the road especially if i lock out the suspension, and it's not too bad if I decide to go on a gravel path. http://scottusa.com/gb_en/product/195/694/sportster_p45

Or are there other hybrids that would suit my commute better?

The entry level road bike I was looking at was the Trek double 1.2. http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/20 ... eries/12e/

Please help... this is beginning to stress me out. Plus I can only really afford one bike, and will be buying another for a long time, so it will have to last! Thanks for reading this stupidly long post, and I appreciate any help I get!

Comments

• meanwhile
    meanwhile Posts: 392
    You've been subjected to marketing bollocks. Stop worrying and just try a few bikes. If you like the drop handled position, buy a drop bike. If you don't, buy a flattie. I would suggest buying a bike without a suspension fork, given your needs... but if it locks, it isn't really harmful If the roads "aren't great" means pot holes or rough bits, make sure the bike can take up to 35 or 38 mm tyres, which probably precludes most road racers, although not tourers.

The Scott would be the safer bet, imo. You could always add drops later. Google "midge bars". But I'd say that you need something inbetween the two bikes you've chosen - rooms for wider tyres than the racer, and a flatter, faster position than the Scott. A bike with these features might be marketed as almost anything. A Specialized Tricross would be just right, if you can get one in your price range. Or a hardtail MTB with a long top tube.

...Anyway, I'm going back to fixing my sulking Sirrus (which might just fit your spec, although the tyres can't go wider than 32)
  • I think you'll notice the difference on a road bike. Noticably faster and nimbler than a hybrid, and quicker up the hills. The stiffness and (generally) lower weight of the frame gives you a real connection with the road and makes you want to go fast; when you twitch your toe on the pedals the bike leaps forward like its a part of you. The gearing encourages you to cover ground quickly - and once you build momentum you keep it.

Drops are also good once you get used to them (which doesn't take long), simply because of the number of hand positions they give you (remember, most people actucally ride on the hoods rather than the drops 90% of the time, so don't be put off by the thought that you're going to have to contort yourself everytime you ride the thing). If you get a bike with a relaxed or 'sportive' geometry than this even more the case; indeed roadies can be very comfortable and their agility means that they are good in traffic.

Road bikes can also handle a lot more punishment than you might expect. I run mine with 25 mm tyres (personally I wouldn't go any fatter than this unless you're actually going off metalled roads) and cover some pretty bad road surfaces, including a couple of barely paved bits, withtout any problems. I also bunny hop it over speed bumps and up and down curbs everyday with no damage so far (touch wood).

You should definately try before you buy to see what you like, but my vote would be to for a roadie for the road every single time. In the end, they are the bikes best designed for tarmac, and once you get used to them anything else feels like a compromise.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    A touring bike with a long wheelbase, wide-range gearing, dropped handlebars, and clearance for mudguards and wider tyres is best for a long, hilly commute.
    Since "hybrid" simply means a cross between something and something else, without specifying what the parents are or which features come from which parent, a hybrid might be exactly right or completely unsuitable.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Have you considered a tourer?

The Revolution Country Traveller Looks like good value for the money (£400) and has everything I'd be looking for in a commuter: Wide range of gears, rack for carrying clothes, lunch etc., mudguards and is robust.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    When it comes to winter you will want mudguards and for the distance a rucksack might not be a good idea so a rack and panniers should be on your radar.

If the road surfaces are as bad as you appear to suggest they are then a truing stand and spoke keys may need to be on your radar even if you choose to go 26" (with medium/high pressure slicks)
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Hi Lamchop,

Please don't stress about it. You are young, fit, motivated to compete, and ready to take on the challenge of a 36 mile round trip commute. I can therefore state with confidence that (i) you will buy the wrong bike, and (ii) it won't matter at all.

Find a bike shop that wil let you try out a range of different types of bike, and just pick the one you feel most comfortable on. Whatever you choose, about eight months from now you will be counting the days until your cycle2work scheme is completed, so you can take out another one to buy the road/freeride/XC/TT/trail/audax/DH bike that you now know your life cannot be complete without (and you'll know what all that jargon means)

Just ride, Lamchop, and love every moment regardless of where you are and what's under you.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Chapeau, Baron.
  • lamchop
    Thanks for all the advice.

I took a look at the Revolution Country Traveller and really liked the thought of getting a touring bike. Problem is Evans doesn't stock it, and I can't really find a tourer in my price range.

From the poll, and what everyone else is saying, I think I'm leaning more towards a road bike than a Hybrid. And again it doesn't leave me much choice due to my price range.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    lamchop wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice.

I took a look at the Revolution Country Traveller and really liked the thought of getting a touring bike. Problem is Evans doesn't stock it, and I can't really find a tourer in my price range.

From the poll, and what everyone else is saying, I think I'm leaning more towards a road bike than a Hybrid. And again it doesn't leave me much choice due to my price range.
    Do a forum search. I've never used the bike 2 work thing, but there's loads of threads on the subject - I'm pretty sure that you're not limited to Evans' stock even if you have to go through them.

Others'll know the finer details.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • lamchop
    Crapaud wrote:
    Do a forum search. I've never used the bike 2 work thing, but there's loads of threads on the subject - I'm pretty sure that you're not limited to Evans' stock even if you have to go through them.

Others'll know the finer details.

Nope, just spoke to Evans... I can only buy their stock! :?
  • Can't add too much more on top of what others have said. I would go for a cheap road bike or tourer (as others have said). The road bike will be fine on most roads unless you want to ride down any tracks. A tourer will be more robust, and will help you carry plenty of stuff into work if you need to. You'll need mudguards too for when the weather is sh1t, so if you get a road bike make sure it has lugs for some. I do a similar distance commute and use either my road bike or tourer - best of luck with it.
  • lamchop
    Thanks for the replies guys....

Now for the hardest bit, I've got to decide on which one! I hate this bit....