Wycombe Or Macc?

johnnyrotten
johnnyrotten Posts: 216
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello,

I'm relativley new to mountain bikes, but totally hooked! Been about six months since i bought my Giant Anthem, but I can't do it justice. I spend my time split between Macclesfield (yay! :D ) and High Wycombe ( :shock: ). Lots of mates at work ride, but I'm looking for anyone from either of these fine towns to ride with. I'm reasonably fit, but not an experienced rider, and I'd love to improve.

Comments

• indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    I'm staying in Whiteleaf nr. Princes Risborough this summer. Might be up for a ride some time! Any good riding in high wycombe??
    Whiteleaf Woods were a pleasant surprise to me - lots of decent riding
  • johnnyrotten
    Heya!

Been up whiteleaf a couple of times, starting at Monks Risborough, past Chequers, then Whiteleaf to Wendover. Thats probably the best known local route. Nearer to me there is Hughenden Manor, on national trust ground. It's short, but half decent.

There's supposed to be another route from Princes Risborough near an old rain line back towards wycombe, but I've not been there yet.

Have you been to Wycombe before?

John.
  • indysmith
    I've been up to wycombe plenty of times, mainly for walking and shopping but never on my bike. I only got my bike a couple of weeks ago after my old Specialized was stolen; so I, too, am pretty new to mountain biking.
    When I get back from Derbyshire next week I'm going to do some serious exploring around Wycombe and see if i can't find some good riding. I expect there's some nice stuff in West Wycombe near the caves and that...
    You say you've done the ride to Wendover; I used to live there. Have you ever been up Aston Hill? It used to be really decent riding, but recently the surface has been pretty dodgy.
  • johnnyrotten
    West Wycombe must have something. I wonder if ther's anywhere on the Dashwood Estate, or even if you could ride there without getting shot by gamekeeper!

My sister in law lives right next to Chequers. Wish it was my place. Whiteleaf on her doorstep.

I've never been to Atson HIll. One of my mates started biking at the saem time as me, and he's been up twice, and come a cropper twice! That was when it was in need of resurfacing. I think its been sorted now. I need to get over there, I was told it was really good. A lot of the time I can't go with my mates because we work opposite shifts now. There are eight of us at work, who all spanked the cycle to work scheme about six months ago. We just never seem to all have the time off together.
  • johnnyrotten
    I am around this wednesday and thursday morning if you want to do whiteleaf.
  • indysmith
    Sorry mate, but I'm at my family's house in Hampshire until next Monday (30th June).
    It's interesting to ride somewhere different actually - very different terrain round these parts!
  • owen908
    owen908 Posts: 170
    I live in Mac and wouldnt mind showing you Macc forest and surrounding areas. Some fantastic routes around here.
  • johnnyrotten
    Nice one Owen.

I'm in Macc until Tuesday morning. My bike's down south, but I could squeeze myself onto my good lady's XTC if you're up for it.
  • owen908
    Monday evening or Tuesday morning could do if thanks ok. Let me know what time and we can arrange to meet.
  • johnnyrotten
    Owen,

How are you fixed for Monday evening? If you get this post too late, then Tuesday Morning is good too.

J
  • owen908
    This evening is fine. What time?
  • johnnyrotten
    Siix or half six? Where will I meet you?
  • owen908
    Siix or half six? Where will I meet you?

Half six would be good. How well do you know Macclesfield? Could meet you say outside river Island in the town centre?
  • johnnyrotten
    Okey Dokey. See you then. :D
  • owen908
    Cool see ya then!