derwent(peak district)

the duke of dirt
the duke of dirt Posts: 9
edited June 2008 in MTB rides
any one no any good loops up around derwent in the peak district

Comments

• Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I really wouldn't know where to start, there are sooooooo many trails around there it just depends on what you want to do and how far you want to ride. You can be out there for a short blast or be out all day. Get hold of the OS map of the Dark Peak area, pick a starting point (I'd recommend Ladybower Reservoir) and pick a route from the many miles of Bridleway. Search google for 'MTB route ladybower' and you'll find a load of information but if you don't have knowledge of the area, you need to get that map.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • cheers mate well i have a little knowlage of the area i mainly want to do single track that leads to some whopping downhill sections!! i'v been walking up there not to long ago and have seen bike tracks in the most random of places if you ever fancy a all day blast up there let me no! i'm just in the process of buying a new bike as mine is about ten year old and is fallin to bits an i am stuck in the debate of full susser or hard tail :(
  • Cheshley
    I've been walking up there for about 10 years now and used to do quite a bit of biking there too but not so much in the last 4-5 years for one reason or another. I've just bought a new Spesh XC comp with the intention of getting back out and losing some of the 3 stone I have put on since I stopped riding :oops: Plus there's the small matter of knee surgery 4 weeks ago that has kinda put back my riding plans.

If you fancy a good ride out that way I can suggest some routes that will raise a big smile but will also make your legs feel like they're gonna drop off because in order to get those grin-inducing downhill bits, thare are some looooooong uphill bits that need pedalling up first.

My target for this year now is to get myself in reasonable shape in order to complete the British Heart Foundation ride that starts at Ladybower in October. That's a tough 42 miles and there is quite a lot of tarmac riding but it's something to work towards.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Cheshley
    Also, just be careful in that area because a lot of the trails that you will have seen are footpaths, not bridleways, and you're not allowed to ride the footpaths......
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• ha ok mate will do that british heart foundation thing sounds ace might have a bit of that my self!! i am out of shape to pal not ridden properly for a good few years an being a lorry driver you'd be surprised how much wieght you put on!! better get myself back to spinning my legs round eh cheers for the advice mate!!
  • trail jacker
    trail jacker Posts: 844
    Cut Gate Path is an awesome ride, amazing terrain, tricky demanding sections and great scenery. defo worth a shot!
  • rickmac
    rickmac Posts: 13
    Superb area where you can really go loopy! This may be of interest - have a look a the route profiles! http://www.bikemaps.co.uk/ladybower.htm