Rain is for ducks NOT for Road Cycling

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited July 2008 in The bottom bracket
Damn I had my first wet weather ride today.

I wanted to do over 40 miles but could only hack 20.

It was horrible, being wet wasn't too bad but the glasses covered with rain droplets plus completely misting up everytime I stopped at red lights.

Also NOT being able to see the pot holes, manholes , etc., as they were covered with water made it even worse and WHY do car drivers drive even closer to you in the rain???

Maybe A & B roads would be fine but Central London roads and rain do not mix.

Oh well fingers crossed for Thursday and Friday. Need some more miles under my belt for Bikeathon.

Comments

• Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    yea, I must say i don't like the rain that much but I guess you just have to brave the elements
    if you want to get any miles in.
    cartoon.jpg
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I don't mind rain too much, but I don't like getting cold. I went out this morning wearing too little.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    I wish I could go out but this 6 day week at work sucks ass - Luckilly I have been able to ride for 30 miles or so when I get home ..
    cartoon.jpg
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    Cycling in the rain with glasses on is no fun.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • NWLondoner
    edited June 2008

Sods law wear them and only get about 50% vision or forget them and get blinded :shock:
  • NWLondoner
    I don't mind rain too much, but I don't like getting cold. I went out this morning wearing too little.

i can cope with the cold. As long as it is above 2'c i'm fine. Just wear a few layers. It's my shaven head that freezes.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    NWLondoner wrote:

Sods law were them and only get about 50% vision or forget them and get blinded :shock:

My glasses are prescription lenses so I have no choice! Wearing a cycling cap really helps.
  • simon johnson
    Mine are prescription too. I'm blind without 'em and therefore a liability to myself and other road users in the rain, there's got to be some invention out there to stop droplets forming or at least some wee windscreen wipers!

....yes, the cycling cap does help some,
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Wet's OK, as long as a bike with 'grds. Got caught out this a.m. on a bike without any. Horrible. I hate sitting in a pool of water!

Just ride according to the conditions - black/sheet ice is the only really nasty. TBH if one can't so adjust, then shouldn't be on two wheels.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad preparation/clothing :D

yea, right
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I'd rather be warm and wet than cold and dry. I went out this morning a little after 5. Spesh winter bib longs kept my legs lovely and warm but summer socks and short-sleeved jersey weather it was not.

My main gripe with wet weather cycling it all the extra post-ride stuff I inevitably need to do e.g. my Allez's brakes seem to want to hug the rims after they've been out in a heavy downpour.
  • To stop your glasses misting up, you need to put a little drop of washing up liquid on the inside of your lenses and smear it round and then polish it off with a dry cloth. An old motorcycling tip.
  • wastelander
    wastelander Posts: 557
    I'd kill to be able to ride and get wet...currently sat in an ice rink covering U12's in a 2 day hockey tournament as an event photographer - one of 4 this month...no weekends for me!!! Still...snapping Def Leppard/Whitesnake on Monday...it's a hard job 8)
  • simon johnson
    To stop your glasses misting up, you need to put a little drop of washing up liquid on the inside of your lenses and smear it round and then polish it off with a dry cloth. An old motorcycling tip.

Thankyou, I will try this one....
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • I actually quite like cycling in the rain. It definitly sucks if its cold windy AND raining though. But like it is today warm and wet I should imagine that its quite pleasant out in the lanes - less traffic at least. That said it wouldn't stop me riding if it was hashing down monsoon style - once you're wet you're wet, best just to get on with it and look forward to a nice hot girlfriend when you get in from the 80miler!

Gats
  • NWLondoner
    To stop your glasses misting up, you need to put a little drop of washing up liquid on the inside of your lenses and smear it round and then polish it off with a dry cloth. An old motorcycling tip.

thanks i'll try that
  • NWLondoner
    Lagavulin wrote:
    I'd rather be warm and wet than cold and dry. I went out this morning a little after 5. Spesh winter bib longs kept my legs lovely and warm but summer socks and short-sleeved jersey weather it was not.

NOW you tell me :roll:

Me baggy shorts with padded lycra liners and short sleeve jersey.

TBH i had no problem with being wet it was the conditions that i hated.
  • Lagavulin
    Yeah, sorry about that. Isn't hindsight great. :(

I thought about going back for thicker socks, arms warmers and/or a baselayer but decided against it. Reckon if I'd gone back upstairs there's a fair chance I'd of jumped back into bed. :oops:
  • NWLondoner
    Lagavulin wrote:
    Yeah, sorry about that. Isn't hindsight great. :(

I thought about going back for thicker socks, arms warmers and/or a baselayer but decided against it. Reckon if I'd gone back upstairs there's a fair chance I'd of jumped back into bed. :oops:

LOL it started to rain just as i left.

I thought sod it, if i turn back now i may stay in and watch the rugby.

I still made it back in time for the Rugby :shock: I'd rather get wet again then watch that performance.
  • buspassman
    buspassman Posts: 35
    God, some of you London lot are softies. I live in South West Wales, and I reckon that over the many years I have commuted to work I get wet on average one in 4 rides, with continuous rain for the whole trip on one in 8 rides. Just get on with it, and as someone else said, adequate preparation will see you right. Unless you are totally immersed, I've never heard of anyone dying because they got wet.
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    46 miles in the rain today .. loved every minute .. apart from sitting on grass verge changing innertubes!
    if your dressed right then its really not uncomfortable. my previous 3 years of cycling i whimped out of wet riding but this year changed my outlook and have added 100s of miles to this years total.
    Just get out there and enjoy!
    exercise.png
  • st68
    st68 Posts: 219
    did 60miler cant say i liked it but want gonna let the rain break me unfortunately it did break my brakes though which started turning to paste
    cheesy quaver
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Today is only the 3rd Sunday I've missed doing a long ride since the beginning of January. It will also be the first I've missed for bad weather. It's blowing a gale out there and the only time the heavy rain stops it's replaced by downpours. It feel most unnatural to be contemplating a Sunday at home doing domestic chores, and trying to remember what it's like to be a family man. I keep telling myself it will do me good and that 'rest' is important, but I know that by this afternoon I will be climbing the walls!
  • Lagavulin
    Wind is mental here today and it's forecast to get worse. Went out on my MTB for a couple of hours this morning and averaged all of 8.3mph. I might as well have gone for a sodding walk!! Insane monsson-style downpour about 9:30 but it must have lasted all of 3 minutes. Wind so strong it simply blew over. Personally I think June has been a pile of shite so far.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    I went on a cafe run yesterday and this poor woman turned up in just s/s jersey and lycra shorts. Meant she was a bit chilly at the start, but the weather was allright until we got to the cafe. Unfortunately the heavens opened and started tipping it down, so I lent her my coat as I had arm warmers/knee warmers so wasn't too cold.

Bless her, but next time she'll almost certainly remember to bring a coat.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Doobz wrote:
    yea, I must say i don't like the rain that much but I guess you just have to brave the elements
    if you want to get any miles in.

I was in the Alps last week and it was v.wet/cold. Descending a mountain with five layers on - but no overshoes is not fun altho' one of the group touched 80kph :shock: Of course at the bottom, the rain had stopped and it was then necessary to get rid of the layers. The last day was v.wet and reminded me why I try NOT to go out in the rain. Soft-a***d I know but it just becomes a grim(e) slog.
    M.Rushton
  • The rain wasn't an issue for me, just the bloody wind. Pedalling to keep at 20mph on a downhill road where i'd normally push 35 is no fun at all.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Do you guys cycle your good bikes in the rain? If you dry and oil your chain is the rain all that bad for a bike or would I be better off cycling on my old hack bike in the rain.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    i've just ordered a ribble winter bike so i can ride in the summer! :cry:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Do you guys cycle your good bikes in the rain? If you dry and oil your chain is the rain all that bad for a bike or would I be better off cycling on my old hack bike in the rain.

I don't race any longer so my good bike has mudguards and a carrier so it's not a problem for me. However, although I had many almost enjoyable wet rides in the past, I'm definitely a fair weather cyclist now.

A couple of us, frustrated by normal Lake District Christmas weather, once rode round Ullswater from Patterdale YHA on mountain bikes in torrential rain. I think what made it bearable was the knowledge that a hot shower and a good drying room was waiting for us when we got back. It was very windy, too and I stayed about a foot off my mate's back wheel on the road section back from Pooley Bridge; he was a LOT stronger than me :)

The there was the 'wet' Elenith 300km in 1988ish ...

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster