Which accent grates the most?

Gavin Gilbert
Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
edited August 2008 in Campaign
And does having to listern to both shouting across an office with a peppering of f-words constitute a valid excuse for GBH?

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    You'll have to explain what 'strine' and 'bok' are, 'cos I've no idea what you're on about!

I have an irrational hatred of cockney if that helps. I don't hate, or even dislike, cockneys, but the accent drives me up the wall - I can't watch Eastenders, but that may be because it's kak.

For that matter, I'm none to fond of nasal Glaswegian ned speak.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    scouse. end of. keep your phlegm to yourself.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Gavin Gilbert
    a_n_t wrote:

That's an excellent point, but very few Scousers make it down to London. Maybe they don't have the wit and ambition to leave Liverpool, maybe they just enjoy wallowing in their own squallor. Who really cares?
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Neither of the above really get to me. Estuary and Essex English do grate though!
  • Bloody.... Scouse!

Unfortunately the scousers and mancs came down to Torbay in the early 90's when alot of the local hotels were struggling. To make ends meet they advertised up north as dole hostels. Walking around Torquay now and you hear that grating phlemy accent drives me up the wall. A few years back I had a couple of motorbikes nicked and the police admitted that the crime rate had soared due to the influx of dolies from up north.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Bloody.... Scouse!

Unfortunately the scousers and mancs came down to Torbay in the early 90's when alot of the local hotels were struggling. To make ends meet they advertised up north as dole hostels. Walking around Torquay now and you hear that grating phlemy accent drives me up the wall. A few years back I had a couple of motorbikes nicked and the police admitted that the crime rate had soared due to the influx of dolies from up north.

If the southern third of the laughingly named UNITED Kingdom hadn't shafted the other two thirds we'd have been happy to stay there.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    whiney souths and manchestoh

and whats this inner london 'yout' accent where they all tork like blacks innit?

kill them all :twisted:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    a_n_t wrote:

That's an excellent point, but very few Scousers make it down to London. Maybe they don't have the wit and ambition to leave Liverpool, maybe they just enjoy wallowing in their own squallor. Who really cares?

yes gavin london's a crime and poverty free paradise with streets paved with gold isnt it?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Australian and South African to those who haven't figured it out yet!

(the answer is south african. I try not to be bigoted, really I do, but that sound.... I've never been friends with a south african so that's probably why. Aussies are fine as long as you can accept the fact that they're funnier, fitter, better looking and more confident than you could ever be)
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    *****cks to that it Cockneys every time
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    lissen maight cockneys ur olrite ennay john ? nowotimien

for me its either the hard Belfast /northern Ireland accent or the Scots whose accent defies all comprehension :roll: :wink:
  • Beeblebrox
    Beeblebrox Posts: 145
    As I'm from the West Midlands, it has to be ... Brummy.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    a_n_t wrote:

Or they have the sense not to go there? <snip>
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • st68
    st68 Posts: 219
    oh thats super oh yar for sure poncey talk everytime :x
    cheesy quaver
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    edited June 2008
    meagain wrote:
    Bloody.... Scouse!

If the southern third of the laughingly named UNITED Kingdom hadn't shafted the other two thirds we'd have been happy to stay there.

The southern tu8rd seems to float Spainward on flushing rather than up north where those delightful minors live, Maurice I think they're also known as.
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    st68 wrote:

You obviously or even obliviously havent met the Harrovian and Estonedian types I have aquainted myself with over the years, they, when bright, are the funniest people I have ever met but dont let them hang together as they tend to fall into a "superior is mois"
    mode when twinned with one of the flock. London is both titterating and irritating at the same time as , well you know, they know everything, everything they know and nothing else.

The StressedAliens are by far the nicer as their abuse of the indigenous tribes didnt get them having to defends themselves constantly against good decent everyday people who would like everyone to be treated nice like, I do know a few very nice Safricans but not as nice as that lovely Rabbi McEman as The Swizz now refer to him.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    biondino wrote:
    (the answer is south african. I try not to be bigoted, really I do, but that sound.... I've never been friends with a south african so that's probably why. Aussies are fine as long as you can accept the fact that they're funnier, fitter, better looking and more confident than you could ever be)

So I take it when you say South African you mean white english speaking South Africans and are not including Zulu / Xhosa or any of the other 7 offical languages? English and Afrikaans speaking south africans have quite different accents when speaking english.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • st68
    don key wrote:
    st68 wrote:

You obviously or even obliviously havent met the Harrovian and Estonedian types I have aquainted myself with over the years, they, when bright, are the funniest people I have ever met but dont let them hang together as they tend to fall into a "superior is mois"
    mode when twinned with one of the flock. London is both titterating and irritating at the same time as , well you know, they know everything, everything they know and nothing else.

The StressedAliens are by far the nicer as their abuse of the indigenous tribes didnt get them having to defends themselves constantly against good decent everyday people who would like everyone to be treated nice like, I do know a few very nice Safricans but not as nice as that lovely Rabbi McEman as The Swizz now refer to him.
    i meet this type most days as i work on an airfield quite often and 75% of them are full of poo with no common sense and an over inflated view of themselves particularly helicopter pilots dont ask me why they just are :?
    cheesy quaver
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Beeblebrox wrote:

Ah - but do you really mean brum or yam yam?
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • st68
    oh i nearly forgot kimmi raikkonen horrible voice & does he ever f****in smile the miserable ba**ard with a job like that and all that cash :?
    cheesy quaver
  • Gavin Gilbert
    RichK wrote:
    Beeblebrox wrote:

Ah - but do you really mean brum or yam yam?

So what is the difference between Brum and yam yam? To my educated ear I can't hear the difference (and I can spot Croydon from Proper South London).

As this is my topic and I'm adjudicating I'm disallowing Brum as being an irritating accent. It has far too much comic potential to be annoying (much like Kiwi in fact :lol: )
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    So with respect to Strine do you mean East Coast, West Coast , Outback or northern Territories they are all different.
    With respect to Bok are you talking English, Afrikaan, Cape Town, Joburg, etc
    With respect to Scouse are you talking Bootle, Kirby, Toxteth, Birkenhead, Etc.

With most accents it is not the accent that grates but strength of it
  • Salsiccia
    Salsiccia Posts: 405
    A friend of mine said in her Scouse (with a hint of Hamburg) accent "I'll never let my son grow up with a Cardiff accent... it's so common"

I laughed, and she didn't understand why :D
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • beatsystem
    beatsystem Posts: 118
    scouse
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    whiney souths and manchestoh

and whats this inner london 'yout' accent where they all tork like blacks innit?

kill them all :twisted:

We should also aks them a question....... :P
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Paddy!
    To be exact, Pikie Paddy, try decyphering what they're on about, and that's not even adding booze to the speaker either! :lol:
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Paddy!
    To be exact, Pikie Paddy, try decyphering what they're on about, and that's not even adding booze to the speaker either! :lol:

Ah ha! We manage a full 2 pages of being offensive and regionalist, and it takes the Forum Tory to post the first racist remark.

I should have put a fiver on it :wink:
  • mercurykev
    mercurykev Posts: 264
    English accent (quicky retreats over the border) :)
  • I love all accents except
    1 Cockney.
    2 Scouse.
    3 Ian Paisley.
    Dan
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    I enjoy saying to strine speakers "what part of NZ are you from?" They do get aerated. Also works asking merkans what part of Canada they hail from.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan