Hi ya everybody-new biker on board wanting advice

Gigglegal
Gigglegal Posts: 6
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi ya everyone,

Ok here's the deal...

I'm 19 and learned how to ride a bike last year (shocking i know haha). I had six weeks to learn how to learn to actually ride a bike, which was then followed by a weeks awesome holiday with my boyfriend and two of our friends, dangling off scary cliff edges was :shock: but was FANTASTIC at the same time. Location Wales: Brecon Beacon and Afan.

Having learning on my big bro's Rayliegh (old school haha) and hiring out a questionable 'bike' in Brecon and a Trek 6300 in Afan i decided to treat myself to a trek which is a beauti esp for a first time bike.

My boyfriend and I go out as and when we can but i have a few issues that need resolving. I've read the article 'Getting Tough' which most of which i can to relate too, especially the bottling out part coming up to an obsticle, and also when climbing hills which isnt my fortae i find myself running out of puff even before i reach half way (most prob more exercise is needed or just learning to use the gears properly).

I want to get serious into mtb, esp having a blast last year but really am determined to do more in order to become a better rider. I get frustrated when i cant do something because im mentally wossing out, when i should just think what the heck and do it. I know its all practice and time in improving but any advice from experienced or new riders like myself going or have been through the same kinda things, relating and resolving their demons and any other advise to a determined new rider would be great.

Thank You for reading this long winded post, sorry about the waffling!!

Comments

• sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Just make sure you have fun. :D
    Steve C
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    firstly, dont be too disheartened if you are not progressing as fast as other people you ride with, if you have only been riding for a short while it will take time to find your feet.

its a cliche but the only way to get "better" is to get out and ride, even the most hardened and experienced riders come against obstacles they have to think about twice so you could look at it that you are in good company!!

i am 29 and only learned to ride 2 years ago so am still finding my feet even now, i definately felt at a disadvantage as i was trying to do all my learning without the bravery of youth.

as long as you are enjoying yourself, that really is what counts.
  • Anonymous
    As for developing ahem, "balls", well, there's no easy way around it. Some people have them naturally, some don't :shock: :lol:

Best thing is to really push yourself to try things, the feeling of elation when you do something you thought you couldn't is amazing. Also, if you fail, then the vast majority of the time, you won;t get badly hurt, just a bit bruised.
    The more you do crash, and realise it ain't all that bad, the more your confidence will build as well.

hope that helps in a way, and have fun. :D
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    have you considered having some coaching....

there are a few places out there that do coaching all over the country you can do group or private.. this would benefit you especially if you only just learned to ride a bike..

i been riding mtb for almost 2 years and on a recent trip to whistler felt out of my depth the guides there who we were with www.bearbackbiking.com were excellent and so patient they spent time to talk you through and show you differant techniques on various things from north shore wood work to switchbacks berms drops ect i definatly benfitted from their coaching and tips my riding progressed so much in that week..
  • abbots_mike
    abbots_mike Posts: 280
    as above, just keep practicing. i have learned the painful way that sometimes the best way to do a scary obstacle is to just not think and go for it!

and to be honest, i don't think it's the bravery of yotuh that helps, it's the total stupidity :lol:
  • Gigglegal
    Just wanted to quickly say a big thank you to you all for your advice and words of wisdom i really appreciate it, i'll definetly take it all on board. Will let you know my progress as and when. Happy Riding all :P
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    As most of the guys have already said, the only way to improve is to practice, practice, practice!

In any sport, a lot of how you perform is down to mental attitude - if you concentrate on what might go wrong, it most probably will. When it does, you then start trying to analyze what went wrong which diverts your concentration away from what you should be doing, and consequently you get worse, rather than better!

I'm not the best climber in the world, but I find that visualising myself reaching the top of a climb keeps me motivated. Also, setting yourself targets along the way can make a climb fly by - look for a marker, say a rock or a tree about 20 yards ahead of where you are and aim to reach it. When you do, look for another marker and aim to reach that, and so on and so forth until you reach the top.

Pedalling cadence (the speed at which you spin the pedals) also plays an important part. A common mistake that new riders make is to try to turn too high a gear - this means that you are pedalling too slowly and consequently you lack momentum which can do a lot to carry you up or over an obstacle. Try to aim for a rate of about 90 revolutions per minute (rpm) of the cranks, regardless of what gear you are using. It might feel funny at first to spin so quickly, but keep with it.

As far as the techy bits go, keep your front wheel light and lay off the front brake. This will help you to lift your wheel if you need to, and will stop you from tipping over the bars! Plan ahead, watch where you want to go (not where you DON'T want to go) and don't "fixate" on anything - if you stare long enough at a rock that you want to avoid, you'll hit it! If you are going downhill, remember that the steeper the gradient the further back you need to be - sometimes you feel like your bum's dragging on the back wheel!

Overall though, just get out as often as you can and ride a lot. Then ride some more. the more you do, the fitter, stronger and more skilful you will become. But above all, just have fun!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Yup, as others have said ride, ride ride it's the only way, well for me it was.

The most important thing is to have fun, if you take it all too serious you might get fedup and call it a day, just take your time and build up gradually, im doing things now i wouldn't have dreamed of to begin with now most things are in my stride.

Try riding with a similar group, when you see how easy they ride over obstacles it'll push you into giving it a try and maybe surprise yourself.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    The guy who said falling off doesn't hurt obviously hasn't hurt himself falling off! If you are riding soft, spongey, grassy, boggy, terrain then by all means fall off as it probably will be a soft landing however if you are on boulder strewn rocky trails or tree lined singletrack you very definitely do not want to land on a boulder or hit a tree. Basically it is worth pushing yourself but it pays to be much more careful where there are hard objects about (especially if you are not wearing body armour).

Apart from practise it is probably well worth getting a day or two's tuition so that you know the correct technique and can practise doing it the right way rather than the wrong way! I believe the Athertons run courses if you want the best...!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Anonymous
    The guy who said falling off doesn't hurt obviously hasn't hurt himself falling off! If you are riding soft, spongey, grassy, boggy, terrain then by all means fall off as it probably will be a soft landing however if you are on boulder strewn rocky trails or tree lined singletrack you very definitely do not want to land on a boulder or hit a tree. Basically it is worth pushing yourself but it pays to be much more careful where there are hard objects about (especially if you are not wearing body armour).

Apart from practise it is probably well worth getting a day or two's tuition so that you know the correct technique and can practise doing it the right way rather than the wrong way! I believe the Athertons run courses if you want the best...!
    I din't say you wouldn't get hurt, I said you wouldn't get badly hurt, most of the time.
    if you're afraid of a little pain, or a few bruises or scratches, then I'm afraid you're in the wrong sport.
    Go play badminton instead.
  • Gigglegal
    Now now guys, lets keep it cool. I've fallen off plenty of times, many many bruises and scratches, even had the bike fall on me at one point but have always brushed myself down and cracked on. It has shook me up a couple of times, which i'm not afraid to admit, but i still plough on. I think that is were i make my mistakes as i can be over cautious, instead of thinking go for it.

Thank you all once again for the posts, keep them coming. Thank you esp for the first hand experiences and tution idea and links.

Any locations, routes people know of for building up confidence, stamina, performance, etc? :D
  • sammyb304
    sammyb304 Posts: 18
    Im also quite new to the sport but have noticed that when i get out alot i feel like i am improving compared to when i dont get out for weeks or even months. For me i just can't get enough practise in to gain more confidence and improve my skills.

Im going to Scotland in july for two weeks and hopefully getting out on the trails every other day, i should definitely learn alot in that time

I don't really have the nerve to go downhill fast but I have noticed that with practise i have been getting quicker. Also, i bought myself some knee/shin pads and elbow pads that I now wear most of the time im out (you can throw as much abuse as you like-i dont care) but it has definetley given me the confidence to go for it more. I have overcome some trails and obstacles that mentally i dont think i would have been able to without wearing the pads.

Hope this helps. Reading through this page has helped me too.
  • beefy123
    beefy123 Posts: 9
    I'm 43 and started as a way of spending more time with my 10 year old boy he's great and has no fear.everybody starts somewhere and the hills are always the struggle but the more you go the better you'll get.keep going and enjoy the rides down.
  • spudulike
    spudulike Posts: 51
    I only really started riding properly this year in March. Since then I've been out every week and I've noticed a huge improvement in my own skill level. I'm tackling stuff that I'd never have dreamed off tackling before and I'm becoming fitter, stronger and a better rider.
  • kath10g
    kath10g Posts: 5
    Hiya, I know just how you feel. I'm new to mtb only going for my first ride in May round Thetfords family route, my husband wanted to break me in gently. As the only biking I've done is back and forward to work. I enjoyed it so much I went back with my son and tackled the red and blue routes. Got very wet and muddy but had one of the best days out in a long while. One of my concerns was how do I ride these trails and have decided to get some coaching. Also reading what the other guys have said it looks like there is nothing like practice. Hopefully I pick my new bike up tomorrow I have gone for the marin wildcat. So shall be out and about learning how to ride it, you shan't miss me it's bright orange !
  • switchback18
    switchback18 Posts: 617
    I get frustrated when i cant do something because im mentally wossing out, when i should just think what the heck and do it. I know its all practice and time in improving but any advice from experienced or new riders like myself going or have been through the same kinda things, relating and resolving their demons and any other advise to a determined new rider would be great.

The what the heck just go for it attitude was totally me at 19! But I consider myself kinda lucky to have survived long enough to learn the skills. Now 36 & running skills courses, but after however long that is, still learning, like everyone. It never stops, which is good, or you'd get bored. Practice is the key, but make sure you're practising good habits, not reinforcing bad ones.

http://www.chasingtrails.co.uk
  • Gigglegal
    Wow its so nice to know there's other people out there in the same boat. It's great to hear that new riders like myself are improving with their practice, each post is making me even more determined.

Glad to hear sammyb304 that wearing pads has helped you conquer your fear and that the posts are helping you too. Where abouts are you riding in Scotland? Fort William?

Its nice to hear that beefy123 is taking up biking with your son, i remember seeing younger ones whizzing past me on some trails, it insane watching them but they haven't got a care in the world which is great. It'll be great if he persues it, i wish i started alot younger but reading the posts has made me see alot of people have started later on too and obviously are making up for lost time.

It's all great stuff, keep your thoughts posted. :)
  • Gigglegal
    Sorry kath10g and switchback18 hadn't realsied there was a second page of posts haha. Enjoy ya new ride kath10g, sounds like a beauty, bright orange - its gotta be done :D Where abouts are you getting coaching? Wow, check you out on the red and blue routes. Its great when there are wet muddy parts, it is great fun, glad you too are enjoying riding with your son.

Haha, switchback 18 it's great to hear that you're running a skills course shows all that what the heck attitude has worked which i am definelty determined to do.