Broken Mixer Tap

simon johnson
simon johnson Posts: 1,064
edited June 2008 in The bottom bracket
I've just fitted the hose with a special adapter for mixer taps in order to wash the bike, I didn't fit it too tightly or anything but as I've taken it off I've noticed two wee holes in the sides, from which water now sprays from when the tap is in use.

I have nil plumbing experience; can anybody help or estimate how much it would cost to get this resolved?

I'm in deep trouble with her indoors, especially since it involved washing the bicycle...

Desperately,

Simon.
Where\'s me jumper?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Does your mixer tap have a pivoting spout and that's where its leaking from? The spout of the tap pivots with an O-ring seal stopping the water going everywhere - there's usually a small grub-screw on the back of the tap - with the water off, release the grub screw and the spout should come away - a local plumbers merchant should be able to furnish you with a new O-ring for a few pence.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • simon johnson
    Yes, it's a pivoting spout but the leaks are at the head of the tap; I've managed to create two small holes in the metal itself.

Perhaps, I can use your method but I'd need to replace the pivoting spout with a new one, and in that case, I may have to find an exact replacement rather than any pivoting tap to be sure that it fits?

Thanks.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    if you have managed to puncture the spout head or neck then that tap was pwell past its lifetime anyway.
    I suggest you get a new mixer tap complete.Its pretty much a standard spec for the legs where they go through the worktop andconnect to the pipework. Easy job . Make sure you get a few half inch fibre washers when you buy the tap in case they are not included .

Buy a special `tap connector spanner' called a shetack from B& Q to undo/do up the tap connectors. Then take it back for credit when you're done! :wink:

Tip...Tighten the tap connectors to the tap legs before you tighten the nuts holding the tap onto the sink unit that way you can jiggle the tap around a bit to get the threads started on the tap connector fittings.

Put the soft washer/s on the legs before fitting the tap through the sink top.(This prevents water leaking through the sinktop around the base of the mixer tap Put the lock -nuts on the tap legs loosely until you get the connectors tight.
  • simon johnson
    peanut wrote:
    if you have managed to puncture the spout head or neck then that tap was pwell past its lifetime anyway.
    I suggest you get a new mixer tap complete.Its pretty much a standard spec for the legs where they go through the worktop andconnect to the pipework. Easy job . Make sure you get a few half inch fibre washers when you buy the tap in case they are not included .

Buy a special `tap connector spanner' called a shetack from B& Q to undo/do up the tap connectors. Then take it back for credit when you're done! :wink:

Tip...Tighten the tap connectors to the tap legs before you tighten the nuts holding the tap onto the sink unit that way you can jiggle the tap around a bit to get the threads started on the tap connector fittings.

Put the soft washer/s on the legs before fitting the tap through the sink top.(This prevents water leaking through the sinktop around the base of the mixer tap Put the lock -nuts on the tap legs loosely until you get the connectors tight.

Thanks Peanut,

Although, I've managed to resolve it temporarily by removing a wee plastic filter at the head of the tap; this has reduced the water pressure inside the spout and now water doesn't spray out at all.......

I will keep your instructions to hand though, as I will probably have to replace it the near future.

Many Many Thanks.
    Where\'s me jumper?