cracking knees and pains?

webbhost
webbhost Posts: 470
edited June 2008 in The bottom bracket
Hi people,

Not sure which area to post in so figured id post in cakeshop..

Ok figured I would post this as it is starting to be a little bit of a concern to me.. not sure this should be happening at the age of 21!!

Not really sure "how" to describe this, but each morning and night when I goto bed / wake up, me knees get really uncomfortable and achy, and when I move my leg up and down can feel like a friction / griding nfeeling on my knee caps, until after I have done it a few times i hear and feel a fairly large crack..

Trouble is, these aches are getting more common and I find myself irriatated by these aches / kees wanting to crack a few times a day now... its starting to become a constant bother.

Question is what do i do? I can continue relieving these aches by cracking my knees more and risking autharitis or I can try to stop cracking them all together and try and get myself through the psychological barrier of wanting to crack them..?

How common is this, are there many other cyclists out there experiencing this? Also could it be a result of something else... is it the bike causing it, something unrelated? Perhaps my knees just like to crack?

If anyone else has to put up with this it would be nice to hear from you and know how you deal with the problem?

Comments

• vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I'm no expert but sounds like a trip to your GP is in order. I don't get that but I do get a pain in my right knee when I do certain strength training exercises, so I'm going to visit a physio in a few weeks when back from holiday.

Post your question in the Training forum - they'll be able to comment.

Andy
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    Hi Vermooten

Thanks for the reply, Earlier I tried using some cream (like deep heat rub but not that brand)... it seems to have worked.. probably mainly because the skin on my knees reacted to the cream, went red and itched like a COUGH....!

Washed it off, and took allergy tablet etc.. heat stayed on knee for a while, but seems to have calmed down for the mean while.

If the problem persists I will go down to the GP as you suggested and possibly repost in training forum.

Could even be something as simple as the lack of sleep I've had this week? Few hours a night etc and no time to repair? Next week off through so good time to let ma knees rest!
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    don't wait for the "problems to persist" - go see your GP

knee's are dodgy things - have a look at the "knee surgery needed" threads on this board - My own too - I go for a meniscal op on the 10th of July!
  • Making your joints crack does not cause artheritis; that is an old wives tale presumably to stop children annoying their parents.
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    I used to have a similar problem/condition, what helped for me was simple stretching.

Do you usually have stiff joints i.e. can you bend over and touch your toes while keeping your legs straight, if not it might be worth a go to get some more flexibility into your joints.
  • Beeblebrox
    Beeblebrox Posts: 145
    Making your joints crack does not cause artheritis; that is an old wives tale presumably to stop children annoying their parents.

I'll reiterate this as it was the only thing I had to contribute.