Which XT Derailleur?

flat_webb
flat_webb Posts: 8
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I've ordered some Shimano XT M770 9spd Shifters and I want to also buy an XT rear derailleur as well. My question is, which version do I use? Do I go for low normal GS (M770), low normal SGS (also M770), top normal GS (M771), or top normal SGS (M771)?

Cheers :)

Comments

• if you hyave a MTB cassette (like 11-32/34) then long cage, if you are more hybriddy and have a road cassette then short cage. medium cage is at your discerssion
    Train hard, ride easy
  • flat_webb
    flat_webb Posts: 8
    This is gonna sound really noob, but which one is the long cage? The cassette is 11-32T...
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    I think that they use the same code number for both short and long cages. A quick look at CRC shows a model number, but when you go to the details page you then get the selection, i.e. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15186 has a GS medium and SGS long, both under model Shimano RD-M971 XTR Rear Mech.
    Steve C
  • i fitted the xt shadow today - best upgrade ever! (from an LX) So I'd recommend just buying the shadow
    Train hard, ride easy
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Long cage if have a triple chainset.

Top normal for 'normal' shifting. Low normal (or rapidrise) to reverse what the gear shifters do ie the way the mech moves.
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    I bought a Rapidrise mech and it drove me mad. Eventually sold it on ebay and put the old, somewhat baggy, Deore one back on. Just got round to fitting an LX mech, which I'm very happy with.

Get an SGS (long cage) Top normal mech.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • MountainPete
    MountainPete Posts: 418
    I got the XT shadow mech a couple of months ago - no complaints at all, and the cable routing is much improved. It is the 772 version (long cage), just to throw another one in!