TDF stage 10 Hautacam climb

moray_gub
moray_gub Posts: 3,328
edited June 2008 in Pro race
Managed to talk the missus into giving me free reign to go and watch this stage. Travelling a fair distance by car and then gonna attempt to honk my way up final climb by bike . Never having been to a mountain stage before how close by car can you get to the last climb ? When do the police close the roads etc ? I presume the road isnt closed for cyclists up until the caravan comes through ? Looking at the map i am coming from the north was thinking about parking in Argeles Gazozt as that looks like the last town before the climb kicks in. Any advice on dos and donts on attempting this would be most appreciated

cheers
MG
Gasping - but somehow still alive !

Comments

• nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    You should be ok parking around Argeles,as the route doesn't really go through,it comes over the Tourmalet,then heads north,turning east to Hautacam,just about as it reaches Argeles,so if you park to the north of town,you'll be clear of the course itself.
    I'd personally aim to get up the climb a good while before the caravan arrives,as it WILL be busy on the climb.
    If you are driving from England,don't underestimate the total distance to get there.
    If you pass Bordeaux,its still a good three,nearer four hour drive to Argeles.
    Sounds ace,I went there for my 40th,& rode from there via Luz & up the Tourmalet,meeting my family for a meal in the hotel/cafe at the top.If you do get to Argeles,do try to make time to do the Tourmalet from this side...Awesome
    so many cols,so little time!
  • conradski
    conradski Posts: 18
    Moray Gub, Me and my old pal Steph are also heading to Hautacam for the TdF. We will be camping in Argeles Gazost and will probably just hike from there to Hautacam. Its gets busy early so we are going to go early and take a typical Scottish liquid picnic for the day.

Maybe see you around - we will have a large Saltire and a Tricolour for my French roots.
    Enjoy
    May the Spokes be With You
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    conradski wrote:
    Moray Gub, Me and my old pal Steph are also heading to Hautacam for the TdF. We will be camping in Argeles Gazost and will probably just hike from there to Hautacam. Its gets busy early so we are going to go early and take a typical Scottish liquid picnic for the day.

Maybe see you around - we will have a large Saltire and a Tricolour for my French roots.
    Enjoy

Ok guys thanks for the replies, i am actually on holiday not far from Bordeaux hence why i am coming from the North so the drive isnt that bad. Ill look out for the saltire and if you see a guy in a red focus bike struggling desperately to breath while sweating profusely that will be me :D Maybe ill take some of the Scottish liquid picnic.

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !