For The Hols!

meagain
meagain Posts: 2,331
edited June 2008 in Road general
Prospect of 15 days no pedalling not good, so this can go in the car! 51 whole quids, never used, complete with Avenir bag: I LOVE ebay!

Fold21.jpg
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Comments

• y tin
    y tin Posts: 102
    Maybe.
    But this looks a bit more trick.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Strida-MK5-Foldin ... 19098a7808
    >^..^<
  • meagain
    Indeed it does! But being the shy and retiring type it'd make me feel a little exposed to ridicule. Not to say scared!! And it costs more...
    d.j.
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    Is that one of the Raleigh ones that were given to all Ikea employees? Really interested to hear how it is, though for £51, I don't think you'll have gone far wrong. The only potential issues I can see are that the cockpit might be a bit short, and that looks like a non-standard stem on top, which would make it difficult to mod, and that, depending on the size of the chainring, it might be a bit low-geared. As I said though, for £51, it looks a LOT better than most of the £100-200 folders out there.

The Strida will likely go for a lot more money, and be a lot less rideable. They're fantastic for a mile or two of flat riding from the station to the office, but I've not found anyone who likes doing 20 miles on them, whereas a good 20" wheel folder can be great even for long distances.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • meagain
    Yes, I assume an IKEA gift one - came from near the Notts branch! Only tried it up and down the street - seems OK, BUT whatever the official size range I reckon that at near 5'10" and with 33" legs I'm about the max size for it (tho' I guess "non-cyclists" would find it more suited). It would be difficult to modify and yes low geared.

It is nothing like as "good" as the Bromptons I tried at recent Cycle Show in Nottingham - but then it is less than one-tenth the price! It's just to take on holiday - and for 50 notes if I never use it again I shan't be heartbroken! OTOH, about the only bike I've ever had that I'd use to pop to the local shops without worrying at all about it being half-inched. Local hoodies would I suspect be even more embarassed about being seen on it than I will! AND I could run after them!
    d.j.
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    Yeah, I reckon it's gonna be a total bargain for that price. Low gearing isn't the end of the world for a pootle to the shops, and it looks as though it's at least solid, and should avoid the wobbliness that comes with some low end folders. Not as good as an upgraded Raleigh 20 though. Have you seen Raleigh's re-issue 20?
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)