emergency rain jacket

on2wheels
on2wheels Posts: 102
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Looking to get an emergency rain or rain/windproof jacket for the summer that doesn't take up any room, something I can put in my back pocket or saddle bag, haven't got to much dosh to throw at it, any suggestions?

Have found this online, anyone got one, is it any good?

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci ... LEX+JACKET

TIA
Paul

Comments

• campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    With some of them you will be soaking with sweat so much you might as well not have put one on.I would save up till I could afford a breathable one.
    Gore do some great ones that go in your back pocket no problem,and Im sure there will be lots of other suggestions,prendas have this one not sure about the spec maybe worth asking them.
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?referrer=&ID=1791
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    The Montane featherlite jacket is very good, rolls up to a size smaller than a tennis ball
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    I have a campag one that folds into a pocket stiched to the hem. I've always found Campag's zips are good too. It's a few years old but still going strong.
    Don't skimp on clothing especialy for bad weather
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    I also like the Montane which is very small - if it is the same sort as mine it is not waterproof but is good at beading the water off when it rains and keeps you a lot warmer and dryer. Also far more breathable than waterproof jackets which I find make me just as wet from the inside.
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Hugh A wrote:
    I also like the Montane which is very small - if it is the same sort as mine it is not waterproof but is good at beading the water off when it rains and keeps you a lot warmer and dryer. Also far more breathable than waterproof jackets which I find make me just as wet from the inside.

Would second the Montane, and agree with your comments in general. Pay 120 pounds for a Gore Tex pac lite if you want, but you'll still be all sweaty on the inside. Gore Tex is one of the biggest marketing cons/successes ever. "Guaranteed to keep you dry", my @rse!!
  • cbj
    cbj Posts: 44
    Another vote for the Montane Velo , mines kept me pretty dry so far in heavy showers too

As its so small and handy to pack , I use mine for a back up jacket for trips out and down the pub too
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I have a Pearl Izumi Zephr jacket. While not waterproof it's highly water repellant and
    wind resistant. Makes a great 3 season shell and packs down really small. Works
    for me.

Dennis Noward
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    And another for the Montane velo, me and my gf have one each.

I bought mine for £24.99 from JE James, but they are now up to £32 - Tredz sell them as well I think, as do CRC.

I have the featherlite pants (overtrousers) and they are equally impressive, kind of parachute material, pertex I think they are made of.

Depending on your build, this might fit you: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26785
    And is apparently also made of pertex, but is a bargainous £9.99

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Montane Velo, definitely. If it p***s down for long, you'll get wet but it's great at keeping showers and light rain off and pretty breathable. Packs up to tiny very light ball. Also agree with the comments made on more expensive Gore tex materials. When it's siling it down the sweat cannot escape through the holes in the material so you get wet from sweat instead of rain.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Another vote for the Montane, I have a Montane smock and it is great. Not 100% waterproof but still pretty good for emergencies. Only thing about the smock is that the cut seems a little on the loose side so it flaps in the wind- the Velo may address this problem.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    I'll vote for the Montane as well, but I've got the full waterproof which was £60 ish.
  • on2wheels
    thanks for all your comments, I think I'll go for the Montane Velo, just need to search the internet and try to get the best price

Anyone know where I can get the best offer?

cheers
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    blorg wrote:
    Another vote for the Montane, I have a Montane smock and it is great. Not 100% waterproof but still pretty good for emergencies. Only thing about the smock is that the cut seems a little on the loose side so it flaps in the wind- the Velo may address this problem.

Na, the Velo one flaps in the wind as well. It's made from Pertex, which is parachute material...
  • Andy140
    Andy140 Posts: 130
    Another vote for Montane Velo - got mine from following............

http://www.primera-bournemouth.co.uk/Te ... rodID=2810
  • on2wheels
    thanks again for all your helpful comments, I have taken the plunge and ordered the Montane Velo, just hope the fit is good!
  • on2wheels
    thanks again for all your helpful comments, I have taken the plunge and ordered the Montane Velo, just hope the fit is good!