Infamy, infamy....

LangerDan
LangerDan Posts: 6,132
edited June 2008 in The bottom bracket
.....they've all got it infamy

According to a back-copy of my local paper, targetting of cyclists on the grounds of public safety is not a recent development:

CAUTION TO BICYCLISTS.—At the Police Office yesterday, Mr. W. H____ referred to the practice of riding bicycles through the streets of the city. He saw a bicycle running through Prince's-street, one of the greatest thoroughfares and one of the most obstructed streets in the city of Cork. He did not know what the law was, or whether there was any law in reference to those machines having bells. If bicycles were to be allowed in the streets they ought not to be allowed to go through the narrow streets. He wished to bring it forward there to see if there were any redress for the danger that the public were exposed to by those machines. Mr. Mitchell opined that after this intimation those gentlemen would give up riding those bicycles through the streets. However, if they did not they would endeavour to take such steps as would prevent them.

The date? 27th May 1881
'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'

Comments

• cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    "Infamy, Infamy,,,,,,,,,,they've all got it infamy". Frankie Howard if my memory serves me correctly (and it dosn't always)
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    cycologist wrote:
    "Infamy, Infamy,,,,,,,,,,they've all got it infamy". Frankie Howard if my memory serves me correctly (and it dosn't always)

Kenneth Williams in Carry on Cleo
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    cycologist wrote:

Kenneth Williams in Carry on Cleo

Didn't it later turn out that the one-liner had already been used in a '50s BBC radio comedy show?

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal