Fixie, build own vs sh

3leggeddog
3leggeddog Posts: 150
edited June 2008 in Road general
Can you help me out here,

I'm keen to give a fixed a go, I've been offered a sh langster in good cond for 200.
Or I could bulid one up but I reckon the cost of this would end up about the same.

What does the collective wisdom of bikeradar think?

Other Q's

I live in the lake district, fangs, whinlatter, newlands, honister all within 30 mins of home and the coastal riding around here is pretty up and down, is going fixed a stupid idea?

Anyone used the disc brake mounted sporckets ? they look like a very simple effective way to go

Thanks in advance

Comments

• 3leggeddog
    apologies for spelling, dyslexic keyboard
  • Perosnally I would go for the secnd hand one. From personal experince unless you have loads of spares lying around it will almost certainly work out cheaper. 2 tyres is £50 and another £20 for a saddle etc all adds up.

I think going single speed might be a better idea. This way you can run alower gear for tackling the hills and not have to worry about peddling like mad down the other side. A langster does have a flip flop hub though so at least you have the option of fixed and free.
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    As robbie says - 2nd hand complete nearly always cheaper - and a Langster for 200 notes if in fair nick certainly will be. Even with the "bargain" frames can't do it cheaper unless you have nearly every other bit "on the shelf" and you consider it all of no monetary value.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • 3leggeddog
    Thanks, thats what I figured.

Now all I have to do is convince the wife I need another bike, may be easier to get away with a build as a "project"

I could always buy the langster, the re build I suppose
  • do you not have a loft? Thats a good place for hiding secret stuff. Girls don't like spiders.
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • 3leggeddog
    Good idea, where can I get some spider frame stickers?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    do you not have a loft? Thats a good place for hiding secret stuff. Girls don't like spiders.
    My partner sorted that one out by converting the loft and using it as her study. I've been relegated to the cupboard under the stairs.
  • andyp wrote:
    do you not have a loft? Thats a good place for hiding secret stuff. Girls don't like spiders.
    My partner sorted that one out by converting the loft and using it as her study. I've been relegated to the cupboard under the stairs.

time for a shed my good man