Does everyone ride a size small?

Kyrotek
Kyrotek Posts: 48
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
I have ordered my new bike and went for a 19" frame but now I am nervous about it.

I rode a 17" and fount the cockpit was short and the standover height enormous even though I am a paltry 5'10" in my boots. I sat astride a 19" and though it felt better in terms of position so dropped the wad. Now I look at pictures of everyone's rides and see the saddle is sitting miles out of the frame, presumably so you can drop it to go FR/DH etc.

Have I got the wrong frame? A few days 'til I go pick it up and most likely too late to change my choice but how much will this affect my chance for real riding?

Am I just being paranoid... :oops:
Don't get too close as a broken tail light often offends...

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Doesn't mean it is small so don't worry.

I'm 5'8" and my bike is a 19" and the seat post comes a fair way out of the tube
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • hastings
    hastings Posts: 206
    its all personal preference, my Dad and I are the same size yet her likes 20inch frames and I prefer 18inch frames
  • ST Colin
    ST Colin Posts: 147
    I'm 6 1" and I have a 17" frame. It's maybe a tad to short height wise but as for reach and fit it's spot on that way.
    http://stcolin.pinkbike.com

BeOne Aspire 1.0
    RS Recon Race Air Solo 100mm
    Raceface XC and Easton
    Mavic 321, DT Swiss spokes, XT hubs
    Panaracer Rampage SC's
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    Most bike makes will vary in sizes, so don't go by what other people use.

If you found the 19" more comfortable, then you've made the right choice :wink:
  • riggsy123
    riggsy123 Posts: 62
    Im 5 11 and I found the 17" frame better fitting that the 19"
  • 3wheeler
    3wheeler Posts: 110
    I think you'll be fine. I recently had the same concern: 5' 10" and bought a 19" rockhopper. Not having had a bike for a while, I didn't really understand what size I should choose, I chose the 19 over the 17 inch because I rode both and prefered the 19. The 17 was fine, it didn't feel too small but the 19 was better.

Now that I've been riding a bit and doing some proper offroad, up muddy and rocky ascents I can see there are times when a smaller bike would be easier to handle and more nimble, but on flatter sections the bigger size feels more comfortbable IMHO and overall I'm glad I chose the 19. Having said all that the 17 would have been fine either, there really isn't much difference in the two.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Yer, bloke at work bought a cheap spesialized bike for back and to from work. The guy selling asked for what purpose he wanted, with the bigger size (19") better suited to commuting and the smaller (17") better for off road. Seeing as he's a tart and wont go off road he got the bigger one. BUT, if it feels right, then it feels right....
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Prefer smallish frames.

All three Specialized bikes we have are 17" - pretty dinky.

Would rather have a small frame and stick the saddle up high.
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    I'm 5'10" and pretty happy with my 19" Orange.
    It's a bigger bike, but I felt like the 17" was too small.
    18" would have been great.
    No problems riding the 19" though - I love my bike!