I've built a wheel!

Phekdra
Phekdra Posts: 137
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Well, after truing a wheel successfully what else could I do? :D It's exceptionally satisfying seeing a rim, hub and a collection of spoke transform themselves into something round and rollable! I've even ridden on it for the last couple of days and it's still straight despite being in deepest pothole country, so next month it's the rear one to make a matching pair, and then I'll have to start persuading people that they really need one custom built - it's too much fun to stop at just two...

For those interested:

DT Swiss RR1.1 rim (double eyeletted)
DT Swiss Revolution spokes (32)
Shimano Ultegra hub

Very nice looking, light and doesn't flex and creak up hills like my Aksiums. Should be pretty strong too.

Phekdra

Comments

• Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    Congrats!!! after truing my own wheels I don't think I'll be jumping to make any soon!!
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • Phekdra
    Denny69 wrote:
    Congrats!!! after truing my own wheels I don't think I'll be jumping to make any soon!!

Shhh... but... it wasn't actually that difficult! :D The worst part was actually putting it on the bike - it looked far too nice to actually use. I might build a spare to mount over the fireplace!

Phekdra
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    How much did it cost?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Phekdra
    How much did it cost?

Ummm... I think all together it came to about £85 - £90. That's for the front wheel - the rear will be a bit more expensive thanks to the hub but still less than £100.

Phekdra
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    awesome Phekdra - Can we have a pic or two?

i am really thinking about doing a course on wheel building as the set of handbuilts I have at the moment are amazing.

I think the course's are held in manchester every few weeks. You buy the hubs, spokes and Rims etc and then you go down and do the build under guidance. They wont let you take your wheel away unless you build it properly and its been checked over..

I will try and find the details..
    cartoon.jpg
  • switchback18
    switchback18 Posts: 617
    Been building wheels for 17 years, hand built ones are waaaaaay stronger than machine built ones. Some shops hand build wheels properly, others don't. You usually find out when they go out of true...

We'll do you a 1 to 1 wheelbuilding course - contact us via the website for details.

Also do basic & advanced maintenance courses. Wheelbuilding's a bit too time consuming for the standard courses.

http://www.chasingtrails.com/cycle-maintenance-courses
  • Phekdra
    Doobz wrote:
    awesome Phekdra - Can we have a pic or two?

Yep, I'll try and find somewhere to stick them.

Phekdra
  • Phekdra
    Alright, try this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27813333@N05/

You'll notice that the wheel is
    a) round
    b) supports the bike
    c) looks nice! 8)

Try not to notice how much the bike needs a clean (this weekend)

Phekdra
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    cracking looking wheel. You must be well made up with your new skillz :) - all the more reason to try and build a set myself..

thanks for sharing

Out of curiosity what is the weight of the front wheel? did you manage to weigh it before chucking the tube and tyre on?
    cartoon.jpg
  • Phekdra
    Doobz wrote:
    Out of curiosity what is the weight of the front wheel? did you manage to weigh it before chucking the tube and tyre on?

I didn't remember to weigh it, although with the tyre and tube it weighs considerably less than my similarly equipped Aksium. Just by picking them up one after another the difference is striking. I did a quick calculation and I think the complete pair should weigh in at around 1700g, plus or minus a bit, which would suit me fine!

Phekdra