Are Carrera virtuoso's ok?

ads08
ads08 Posts: 6
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi im trying to get into road bikes, was wondering if the carrera virtuoso would be a good starting point, as i need a bike that could do a 100 mile charity ride more easily than my mountain bike, any help or bike recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    ads08 wrote:
    Hi im trying to get into road bikes, was wondering if the carrera virtuoso would be a good starting point, as i need a bike that could do a 100 mile charity ride more easily than my mountain bike, any help or bike recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated.

Yep, it's fine. Ribble also worth a look
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The Virtuoso is an OK bike, I had a 12month placement last year for uni, which meant having to commute everyday, but nowhere to really clean the bike.

I got a virtuoso, it served me well, but I didn't look after it properly , which meant it only just lasted the 12month. It'd be better than a mountain bike for 100miles.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    The Virtuoso is an OK bike, I had a 12month placement last year for uni, which meant having to commute everyday, but nowhere to really clean the bike.

I got a virtuoso, it served me well, but I didn't look after it properly , which meant it only just lasted the 12month. It'd be better than a mountain bike for 100miles.

Sorry for hijacking he thread. Have you tried 25 mil tyres on your Ribble with mudguards?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Garry H wrote:

Sorry for hijacking he thread. Have you tried 25 mil tyres on your Ribble with mudguards?

Not yet, haven't got a round to putting the mudguards on, I reckon it'll work though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    I got one a month and a half ago, done 1000+km on it and it's been great so far.

I couldn't find a cheaper bike that had STI shifters. And when I got it, I also got a £50 voucher for bike accessories... don't know if they still do that.

I wouldn't want to do 100 miles on any kind of hybrid/mountain bike, but I'd happily do one on the virtuoso.
  • Garry71
    Garry71 Posts: 96
    I put mine together myself and it's been ok, just a few tweaks to the mech etc along the way.
    I'd get puncture resistant tyres, though, and do a few good miles to iron out any gremlins as opposed to doing 100 miles straight off.
    Can't speak for the quality of the pedals and straps as I changed mine straight away for flat standard pedals.
    I adjusted the axles/cones as I could feel the bearings grinding when turning the axles by hand.
    It's a cheap bike, but should be ok if set up properly.

Garry
    Cycling is too nice to waste it on getting to work.
  • Beeblebrox
    Beeblebrox Posts: 145
    Would the Carrera Virtuoso be tough enough to handle a few (and one incredibly) bumpy roads and towpaths every day? I'm always wary of Halfords, although it may be a more subconscious unease than anything I can pinpoint directly ...

Or any other recommendations for the price?
  • i have a vanquish and its been great.

ive noticed you can get last years vanquish models in halfs for the price of a virtuoso.
    try a few halfords stores.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Beeblebrox wrote:
    Would the Carrera Virtuoso be tough enough to handle a few (and one incredibly) bumpy roads and towpaths every day? I'm always wary of Halfords, although it may be a more subconscious unease than anything I can pinpoint directly ...

Or any other recommendations for the price?
    You should see the roads round here that I ride on everyday. It puts up with them a lot more than my steel hybrid did.

For the price, even online, you will be hard pushed to find a better bike. (there is always second hand though).
  • Beeblebrox
    Beeblebrox Posts: 145
    i have a vanquish and its been great.

ive noticed you can get last years vanquish models in halfs for the price of a virtuoso.
    try a few halfords stores.

That'll be down to luck in the individual store I suppose. Will the same reductions be made on '08 models soon?

Edit - had a poke around at a different Halfords (and despite me not much liking Halfords there was a nicer and generally more helpful salesman) and came across a Carrera Valour '07 for £330. Having a read up and seem a good buy for a first road bike.
  • dttlincs
    dttlincs Posts: 384
    I have a 2003 model. Have changed saddle and tyres and added bottle cages, spd pedals and computer.
    Have done 6000+ miles on it. Had to replace the bottom bracket bearing once. One or two spokes in the back wheel after 5000+ miles but I am quite heavy.
    Overall very happy with the bike. Stiff frame. Mine has a alu fork which is quite harsh. Carbon would be better. I think the present ones have a steel fork which should not be as harsh as alu.
    I found at the time it was the cheapest bike I could find with sti gears. Got a free bike carrier for the car with it too.
    Should be fine for what you need.
    Still thinking!
  • I also have an 03 model. It is my pride and joy, and I cannot get my head around it's brilliance. I've had it since 2005 and it's never had so much as a puncture, and I've exceeded speeds of 50mph and it's been on 140mile rides. They're on ebay very cheap these days.
  • cwbb
    cwbb Posts: 16
    the new model 2012 is a stunner white and sky blue instead of the black and sky blue :D thinking of getting this bike soon was gonna go for the virago butive witnessed carbon road bikes snap and considering there sometimes 5times the price i dont think i will be going down that road so its either the virtuoso or the more expensive giant defy 1
  • GSJ
    GSJ Posts: 150
    I have the virtuoso ltd which i think is GB colours, didn't even realise until my friend pointed it out lol. Had it since april and so far it's been great. I swapped out the tyres and seat, the only reason I changed the seat was because I was having serious problems getting it to suit my bottom and the more sensitive areas. Ever since changing the saddle the problem has gone (everyone's bottom is different shapes and sizes)
    I ride my bike on a somewhat bumpy cycle path which would leave anyones ass in tatters so it's doing well in that section. As for the price, I went for the virtuoso purely because of the price, it was my first road bike and couldn't justify spending £500 but now, well, it's a totally different story :P
  • Hi all,

I'm a newbie! I purchased the virtuoso about a week or so ago and so far so good. I'm easing myself into it. What I would like help with is cycle parts and maintenence etc, I'd like to become more familiar with my bike and its parts etc. Does anyone know of any useful webistes I could visit please?
    Cheers
    Dan
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    The Park Tools website is quite good for maintenance advice

http://www.parktool.com/#
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Great! Ta very much, I'll have a look :D
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    If your considering a virtuoso they are good bikes for the price and i usde mine for commuting all the time but if i was looking for a new "entry " level bike it would be a triban 3, got a rave review on cycling active because for £300 you get the same groupset but you get a carbon fork..
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-id_8167038.html
    FCN 3/5/9
  • I had one and found it to be fine. depends on what you want out of it and how much cash you have to spend