Giro di Lombardia

mrushton
mrushton Posts: 5,182
Any recommendations about this event? Where to stay, how to enter etc. I presume the form is on the Gazzetta w/site. I was thinking of flying in/out of Bergamo and staying in the Como area .
M.Rushton

Comments

• wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    mrushton wrote:
    Any recommendations about this event? Where to stay, how to enter etc. I presume the form is on the Gazzetta w/site. I was thinking of flying in/out of Bergamo and staying in the Como area .

mrushton - i've decided to do this one as well ... have always wanted to do it and milan - san remo. Easy to enter ... just need a credit car and go through the site (you will have to register with sportident site but it is all easy.

best airport i think is milan malpensa ... you can get a train from there and change at serrono to get to como. not far at all. or of course you can hire a car and so on.

only catch is that hotels are not too cheap given it's como and the pro race is on.

i'm thinking of going in sat. and coming back sunday evening ... lightening raid!
  • mrushton
    thanks for that. i know someone who did San remo with Baxters as your bags have to travel from Milan-San remo. he did say it was epic and even went to the trouble of using fake tan on his legs as he wasn't going into the event with white legs. he said it was easy to latch onto fast moving groups.

La fuga may be offering a package on the Como trip but it may be expensive

www.lafuga.cc
    M.Rushton
  • wildmoustache
    mrushton wrote:
    thanks for that. i know someone who did San remo with Baxters as your bags have to travel from Milan-San remo. he did say it was epic and even went to the trouble of using fake tan on his legs as he wasn't going into the event with white legs. he said it was easy to latch onto fast moving groups.

La fuga may be offering a package on the Como trip but it may be expensive

www.lafuga.cc

don't go on a package. mega ££. just get a flight to mlian, your entry, and a hotel room sorted. You can get all that for well under £300. then train or car to como. seriously ... it 's a really easy one logistically.
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    Has anyone a link to the organising website?

I'm trying to find out the starting time on the Sunday to see whether it's possible to stay in Milan and get the first train up there at 6.40am, arriving 7.30am and be on time.
  • wildmoustache
    http://www.gazzetta.it/challenge/percor ... rdia.shtml

strangely, I can't find details of when it starts ... I read a ride report from a previous year saying 9.30am. Perhaps call/ email them?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    The Gazzetta web page on this is here;

http://www.gazzetta.it/challenge/percor ... rdia.shtml

Looks like the event starts at 9 a.m. which should give you ample time.
  • andyp
    http://www.gazzetta.it/challenge/percorso_lombardia.shtml

strangely, I can't find details of when it starts ... I read a ride report from a previous year saying 9.30am. Perhaps call/ email them?
    Click on the 'Cronotabelle' link above the map.
  • wildmoustache
    andyp wrote:
    http://www.gazzetta.it/challenge/percorso_lombardia.shtml

Click on the 'Cronotabelle' link above the map.

thanks andyp. very civilised compared to that etape nonsense. guess a bit darker at that time of year. have you done this one before?
  • mrushton
    According to Comobike, it's a 'French start??? which means rolling out between two times 7.30-8am I think. Also you can sign in on the line. I'll see if I still have that email.
    M.Rushton
  • andyp
    thanks andyp. very civilised compared to that etape nonsense. guess a bit darker at that time of year. have you done this one before?
    I've been in Como for this before, after seeing the pro race the day before, but I've not ridden it (although I have ridden most of the route). I'll probably do it this year though, just waiting for a friend to confirm he's up for it too.
  • mrushton
    The entry for the fondo on Sunday can be done on the day of the race. The start is a French start (meaning you can leave when you want) between 07h30 and 08h00.

This is the reply I had from Brandt at Comobike
    M.Rushton
  • wildmoustache
    mrushton wrote:
    The entry for the fondo on Sunday can be done on the day of the race. The start is a French start (meaning you can leave when you want) between 07h30 and 08h00.

This is the reply I had from Brandt at Comobike

thanks Mrushton. A bit confusing. Anyway ... I am going to stay in Como the night before and sign on the day before. Then try and get away as quickly as possible after 7.30am.

Motivation to keep the fitness up over the next three months!
  • If anyone is interested in doing this sportive in a bit more comfort, I am organising a weekend trip.

www.italiancyclingtours.com

Any queries please feel free to email me or PM.

Sean
  • Padova
    Padova Posts: 22
    You could try these guys as I know some people who have been with them before and have been very happy.

I appreciate this is a very late response, they may have a place left, if not Bookmark it for next year

http://www.italiancyclingtours.com/
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Great ride - did the medio fondo and saw some of the lake and hills scenery but it was all a bit too frantic on the Ghisallo to take in the chapel at the top - although I did hear the bells ringing as we went past. Easy to get to - we got train straight from Milan to Como (with change of train mid way at Serrano) then it was jut a 5 minute taxi ride to hotel in Como centre - we stayed literally two minutes walk away from the start and finish - couldn't have been better for ease of access. It was a great route and the organisation was fantastic - v impressed with feed stops as well as traffic policing and road blocks. Really made the most of racing along on on zero-traffic roads. Also enjoyed sunny warm weather at this time of year - no need for arm or leg warmers. Great atmosphere at the start and along the route with spectators cheering etc as well as a good feed and party atmosphere at the end. Loved one is telling me to say I was the 1st British lady back and the first 'individuale' lady (not in a team). I was 13th in category (G) and 22nd lady to finish. Total time was 3:58:10 for 110km route. Average speed till we reached the Ghisallo was just under 38kph!!! I have never ridden that fast in my life before - well I think it's almost impossible to do, unless it's a straight road and/or there is no traffic! Now I just need to work on descending like a maniac crazy Italian and I'll have it cracked! :shock: This was my second sportive event and I would definitely recommend this event to anyone, whether new to sportives or an old hand.