Re-motivating 9 year old

NeilH8297
NeilH8297 Posts: 2
Over the Easter weekend my nine year old son and i were out on training ride for Bike MS on a local paved trail. Seconds after warning him that he was two close to the edge of the trail, his back wheel went off and he fell. Unfortunately he was right in my path and i ran into him. While he was uninjured, in the resulting bike flip i broke a collar bone, cracked a couple of ribs and sprained an ankle.
It was a total accident and i made sure to reassure him of that, but of course his friends made fun of him for trying to "killl his dad". There was a halt to our training, but he still managed an impressive 58 miles on Bike MS - i borrowed a recumbant trike too ride with him.
But the problem is that now i'm healed and back on my road bike he is hesitant about riding, we used to have fun riding together, but now he'd rather sit in front of the TV. Can anybody give me any suggestions on how to get him back on the bike, or is it just going to be a matter of time?

Comments

• Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    new bike gets me going every time :lol:

I say give him some time... the crash may not have broke his bones but seeing you getting broken bones could well have shaken him up alot. and may of given im worries about getting back on the bike.

Well sorry to hear about your fall and i hope he gets back in to a great sport that he did enjoy.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    have you asked him why? maybe try a new approach, try MTBing or track sessions for kids to rebuild confidence/fun.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    It might just be just a matter of time. I imagine it must have been very stressful seeing his dad injured and also the teasing afterwards wouldn't have helped.

Maybe just getting him to ride around the streets with his friends (i.e. not with dad) may be the answer? I wouldn't push him though. I bought my son a bike for his 8th birthday (he is now 12) and he fell off it on his birthday and skinned his knees. He wouldn't touch it for months after that, then one day his friends were messing about on bikes and he just got on and went. Now he rides all the time.

What is bike MS?

Steve C
    Steve C
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    new bike gets me going every time :lol:

And sell the TV to fund it! ;)
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike