Freedom Bike scheme to be Tested Here? Will it work?

jc4lab
jc4lab Posts: 554
edited June 2008 in The bottom bracket
Heard on Radio 4 this morning that the scheme which exists in Paris is to be tested here in a city yet to be chosen...Basically for One Euro only you collect a bike at the station and can cycle anywhere and can leave it at any designated collection point when you have finished with it....Can this work do you think..?..First thought..Dont think they have many carboot sales in Paris,
jc

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Didn't they try this already in Cambridge about 5 years ago? Those bikes that didn't get pinched ended up in the river I think. It's not so much the car boot sales as the Friday/Saturday p*ss-heads that are the problem.

Unless there is some sort of deposit scheme (similar to shopping trolleys but a bit more at stake) then I can't see it working at all.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Bristol may have already been chosen or have something operating already,but the radio said they are looking at other cities ...
    jc
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Didn't think this was new when I read a headline about it.

It didn't work for Fife Council in St Andrews either, the only benefit being a large nubmer of sheffield stands around the town where the free bikes used to sit
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days