Northernrock Cyclone - anybody do it?

poucher
poucher Posts: 102
Not been any mention on here about it?

I did it last Saturday, good day out excellent weather ( for a change )

Am I seeing things or was the first man in the 62 miler over 60 years old????????
Group male G?

Cheers,

Poucher

Comments

• amircp
    amircp Posts: 132
    I did the 100 mile - my first sportive. Enjoyed it a lot apart from the climb out of Wark, which took me by surprise. Lot more hilly than I thought it would be. Just missed the silver standard on account an enforced stop at a level crossing near the end. Or was it from stopping on that hill?! Very well organised and weather was good.
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    I did it too. It was great fun.

I also saw the time for the 60 year old. I may be doing him a disservice, but I think his time is a bit suspect... If you look at the sportident split times you will see he did quite a slow first split & then missed out on the Stamfordham time check.

Incidentally, someone on cyclosport has the 100 mile times sorted chronologically. Any idea how they did that to a pdf file, because I can't :?
  • Turnbull2000
    Turnbull2000 Posts: 189
    Yup, had a great day out. Weather was nigh on perfect! This was the third sportive for myself. Getting closer to sussing what to eat beforehand, what food to carry with me and how best to pace myself. Managed a time of 5:25 without tiring, so would like to think nearer the 5 hour mark is possible next time. One can only hope :D
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    ellieb wrote:
    Incidentally, someone on cyclosport has the 100 mile times sorted chronologically. Any idea how they did that to a pdf file, because I can't :?

a lad at work sorted it, If I remember, I'll ask him tomorrow how to do it - probably need pdf professional , not just reader
  • saif
    saif Posts: 100
    did 62 mile, the very first sportive of my life. I'd travelled all the way from London the previous night. Checked into the Hotel quite late and with the excitement of the event could hardly sleep well. In the morning felt a bit dehydrated (obviously the travel fatigue and excitement had taken a bit of a toll), then arrived at good time for registration as hotel was just .5m from the stadium. I really felt good to see the build up for the start with so many cyclists. I must congratulate the management and the cadets who had put up a lot of effort to make this all happen so smoothly. Then came the time to start, and saw the first accident, a girl who started next to me ( Scottish perhaps ) had a nasty fall, split seconds after the start as her front tyre touched the left kerb on the bend even before we could get out on the road. I hope she recovered well and managed to complete her ride.

For me the overall ride was a good one managed to complete with an avg. speed of 13m/h , only dismounted once on the first of the twin hills ( cant remember the name), but did clear the second one without any problems. During the course suffered a few cramps but after the food stop, whenever it recurred I tried active recovery by varying the gear and speed and it did help. I enjoyed every bit of my ride and I’d love to do that again.
  • saif wrote:
    did 62 mile, the very first sportive of my life. I'd travelled all the way from London the previous night. Checked into the Hotel quite late and with the excitement of the event could hardly sleep well. In the morning felt a bit dehydrated (obviously the travel fatigue and excitement had taken a bit of a toll), then arrived at good time for registration as hotel was just .5m from the stadium. I really felt good to see the build up for the start with so many cyclists. I must congratulate the management and the cadets who had put up a lot of effort to make this all happen so smoothly. Then came the time to start, and saw the first accident, a girl who started next to me ( Scottish perhaps ) had a nasty fall, split seconds after the start as her front tyre touched the left kerb on the bend even before we could get out on the road. I hope she recovered well and managed to complete her ride.

For me the overall ride was a good one managed to complete with an avg. speed of 13m/h , only dismounted once on the first of the twin hills ( cant remember the name), but did clear the second one without any problems. During the course suffered a few cramps but after the food stop, whenever it recurred I tried active recovery by varying the gear and speed and it did help. I enjoyed every bit of my ride and I’d love to do that again.

saif - glad you enjoyed it along with the other 1640 riders wo registered and 1470 who started. Sorry if you had to queue at the start but I had to make it safe and for everyone by setting you all off on groups of 20.
    Some stats for everyone:
    106,000 miles cycled by everyone
    5000 litres of water drunk
    960 bottles energy drink
    5000 bananas were consumed
    4000 geobars
    only 6 people failed to complete the 3 routes

Routes will be slightly revised next year to make them all slightly longer. Entries open 1st November.
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    ellieb wrote:

save the pdf as a .doc (Word), copy and paste that into excel, then sort it from there, re pdf if required
  • craiguk
    craiguk Posts: 39
    Here's a link to the 100 mile results in chronological order>>>

http://www.ferryhillwheelers.org.uk/PDF ... esults.pdf
  • Turnbull2000
    How are the age groups split? There's a few 'ME's at the top. How old or young are they?
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    ME's are in the prime of life, still fit, healthy & active & in the process of a mid-life crisis. :(

40-49
  • Turnbull2000
    ellieb wrote:
    ME's are in the prime of life, still fit, healthy & active & in the process of a mid-life crisis. :(

40-49

:shock:

I always knew cycling kept you young, but bloody hell. Don't feel so bad about turning 30 next year now. Instead, I look forward to joining the sportive elite :D