SPDs

colsa
colsa Posts: 50
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
What are they ?, i think they are some kind of pedal or shoe, i understand there are two things you can have, either normal pedals you put your feet on, or pedals that you need a special shoe to go with them, the pedal and shoe click together or something, anybody clear this up please, just dont wanna look a divvy when i ask in the bike shop, thanks.

Comments

• sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    SPD is a Shimano system for clamping a cycling shoe to a pedal. There are various types by other manufacturers but SPD is often used as a generic term.

The pedal has a spring loaded clamp and the shoe a cleat (metal /plastic plate) which locks onto the clamp. This holds the shoe to the pedal.

Advantages are that you get to pull up on the pedals as well as pushing down.

Steve C
    Steve C
  • colsa
    colsa Posts: 50
    Excellent, thanks Steve.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Stands for Shimano Pedalling Dynamics, also referred to as SPuDs. Some other makers pedals are also compatible with the Shimano cleat. There are two types of cleat, normal and multi release, the normal cleat disengages from the pedal when you twist your ankle past a certain point, the multi release also disengages if you yank your foot upwards hard enough.

Shimano also do a range of SPD shoes although these will work with other systems as well provided you use the correct cleat.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • johnnyrotten
    johnnyrotten Posts: 216
    I just started using Crank Brothers Eggbeaters. I thought they would be easier to get into, as there are four sides, rather than just two found on SPD pedals. I'd never used clipless before, but they didn't take long to get used to. And only three falls so far :lol: !!
  • carrying on from this....can anyone point me in a direction of where to get some SPD's from...i mean i've seen loads on the net (wiggle etc) but i'm unsure what shoes work with what and i dont wanna get it wrong!!

Dont wanna spend too much, but i wouldnt mind giving them a go...
    either that, or does anybody know of any decent MTB trainers that would be good to use for trail riding/general MTB? i dont really have anything suitable atm...

Cheers.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Good flat pedals in combo with a skate type shoe work well for many.

My advice, unless a roadie, is to always start on flats, get used to the bike, build some skilss, then think about SPDs
  • Bones!!
    Bones!! Posts: 83
    Whatever SPD pedals you decide to go for, appropriate cleats will be provided so it then becomes a case of buying a pair of shoes which are appropriate for the type of riding you intend to do, as the cleats should bolt into any of them.

My suggestion for a beginner would be to consider shimano M424 pedals, or similar as they allow you to clip in, but also have a resin cage so can be used without cleats, for non-SPD shoes, or for times when you're still getting used to them and don't feel comfortable being clipped in. Another bonus is that they are pretty cheap.
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, unless you already know the answer!
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    BlackSpur wrote:
    These came with my Spesh Rockhopper and am more than happy with them for the moment. Coming from V8s they feel a bit weird being clipped in, but I'm getting there. If you hunt around you can get a pair of SPD shoes pretty cheap. I got a pair of Spesh Taho's from JE James for 20 quid for the simple reason they are last years model! Hunt around and you may find a bargin, and its worth a go. Keep the retention nice and lose until you are used to it :)
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • BlackSpur wrote:

awesome, just what i'm after :D cheers mate... seen this on the same site http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... goryId=136
    but whats with the shoe sizes? american???

oh and i don't really wanna use my duffs...cost me £60 and i don't wanna destroy them....i wear them every day!! plus they're a fat shoe n i look a spick if i wear them with shorts lmao!!
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    It's European sizing and all bike shoes are measured in it. There are conversion tables all over the net - look on Google.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    just be aware that some cycle shoes are very thin fitting it depends on the manufacturer

i to got some shimano pedals off merlin then got some shoes off jejames cheap.

i got some lake shoes as they were on offer for £30 from £50 the fit was ok these were summer shoes so later in the year i decided to get some winter shoes windproof and waterproof i liked the diadora chillie extremes they were £140 i found them for £45 i ordered them and they only just fit very tight some time hurt my feet i have streched them by leaving them crammed full of socks but they still hurt sometimes...

you may be best trying some shoes on at a local shop then buying off the net if the saving is there...
  • you may be best trying some shoes on at a local shop then buying off the net if the saving is there...
    Aye think i'ma do that neways so that i can get a feel for them. annoying tho cus i wanna go to the lakes on thursday (bike comes wednesday night! :D)

edit..what about something like this for the time being http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mens-footwe ... 0000927894 look like they could be good on a mtb..
  • Thermo1
    Thermo1 Posts: 75
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    carrying on from this....can anyone point me in a direction of where to get some SPD's from...i mean i've seen loads on the net (wiggle etc) but i'm unsure what shoes work with what and i dont wanna get it wrong!!

Dont wanna spend too much, but i wouldnt mind giving them a go...
    either that, or does anybody know of any decent MTB trainers that would be good to use for trail riding/general MTB? i dont really have anything suitable atm...

Cheers.

You can't go wrong with these:
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Shim ... -10227.htm

I live in NZ, but my wife was over visiting family last year and she got two pairs because they were half the price of local prices!

As far as shoes go, anything that will take an SPD cleat will work. The important thing is that they are comfortable on your feet.
  • Thermo1
    Thermo1 Posts: 75
    BlackSpur wrote:

Agreed!

I used to use the original 737 pedal and these 520s are much much better.