I dont want to get soaked

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hi.

Think I've posted a similar thread before but cant find it.

Anyway on saturday there is this Ron Kit challenge ride from the race course in york that I am going to be doing, and the weather for saturday is heavy rain :(, now It has just been raining soo bad here and I wonder.. people cycle in this? I was in heavy rain once but had normal clothes on and no water proof and within like 4 seconds I was soaked and this ride on saturday is 150km, obviously be in cycling kit but I really dont want to get soaked.

So would a water proof and foldable anorak and overshoes be good to stop feet and main body from getting totally soaked? It just seems hard to imagine cycling for like nearly 100 miles soaked :( /

Comments

• Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    You live in the Uk and you cycle, you're going to get soaked at some point... :D

Certainly for me overshoes are a must in the rain, wet sodden socks are the one thing that will ruin a ride. A lightweight rain jacket will also help. I also find that a summer cap under my helmet stops rain going in the eyes...

Ignore the weather and have a good ride.....
  • Anonymous
    Some days you plan on doing on a ride, and its just havy rain all day, extreamly heavy, would you go out in it?

I'm going to get some overshoes on friday hopefully, but they are £35 at my LBS, they dont seem waterproof? Looking on the web, must need some water proof stuff to put on them?

If I bought these:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... IDIZOSH450

What size would I want? My shoes are like 11.5 or something, 46 I think? Are those sizes the same as shoe sizes? So a 46 size overshoe for 46 size shoes?
  • spudulike
    spudulike Posts: 51
    Sealskinz are the thing for your feet. Less fussy than overshoes.

Apart from that I totally agree with Mog
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    willhub wrote:
    Some days you plan on doing on a ride, and its just havy rain all day, extreamly heavy, would you go out in it?

Yep I would and do, lifes to short to put things on hold due to the weather. That's certainly how I work anyway, plus it makes you appreciate the sunny dry days better :)

And yes those sizings are the same as shoe sizing... Just be careful though as you want them to stretch over your shoes and be snug, not loose...
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Doesn't matter what you wear, after that distance you're going to be soaked to the skin. Only difference will be how long it takes you to get that soaked.

Should mean that there is less friction between the road and your tyre to slow you down!

Isn't fun, especially when you stop and cool down - car heaters sometimes can't go hot enough to bring you back to normal temperature on the way home (unless you end up back at your house then straight into a hot bath!!)
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    willhub wrote:
    ... I'm going to get some overshoes on friday hopefully, but they are £35 at my LBS, they dont seem waterproof? Looking on the web, must need some water proof stuff to put on them? ...
    Endura, £19.99. Endura stuff usually gets a 'best buy' rating in C+ and, IME, are very durable. If it's really heavy, persistant rain I use them in conjunction with a pair of Sealskinz.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Steve_F wrote:
    Doesn't matter what you wear, after that distance you're going to be soaked to the skin. Only difference will be how long it takes you to get that soaked.

Quite right! Over 6-7 years of commuting on the bike I have gradually shed more and more clothes (as it were). When I started I would wear full waterproofs and a massive fleece if it was just drizzling and a bit chilly... But actually this meant that I just got hot and uncomfortable as well as wet.

Working on the basis that I'm going to get wet anyway and the exercise will warm me up I now I just wear lycra bib shorts and either a short or long sleeved jersey depending on the season (gloves in winter too) + a very lightweight pertex waterproof for downpours. This means I do get wet of course, but the clothes dry incredibly quickly (and don't smell either), I'm a lot more comfortable than I was in the past.

Once you get used to it - and if you've got the right kit on + a towel and dry clothes waiting for you at work - it really isn't such a big deal going out in the rain...
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Light waterproof jacket and overshoes will stop you getting completely sodden. No point wearing waterproofs on your legs, but would recommend lycra shorts as opposed to baggies or leggings. After the first 10 minutes it doesn't get any worse, and after the next 10 you probably won't even notice it's raining. Just thank your stars it's June and not January ;-)
  • Anonymous
    I always wear shorts when I'm on my bike, I used to always wear like jeans and all that but no going back to that!, I like the rain on my legs in a way it is refreshing, just the down side is the dirt, after having a shower I still have dirt on my legs its so hard to get off but its not really a big problem that, other problem is face getting soaked with salty water off the roads, but I guess I cant stop that as its just water been kicked back from the back wheels of other bikes.

On friday I'm going to shop around hopefully in town for some overshoes, if I order today dont know if I'll get them before saturday.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    It would be my guess that the overshoes will not keep your feet dry over that distance if it is continual rain. Your tyre will throw up loads of water and it will find its way up the cutaway (unless it's really small) and will also find its way down inside them. My limited experience of overshoes is that they are great for showers or if the roads are a bit wet , but not for a major soaking. Temporary mud guards would probs have more effect.
    I think the best advice is to have dry towel, warm drink and change of clothes waiting for you immediately you stop. Good luck.
    I am doing a 50 miler on sunday with my lad and its his first long ride and the weather is rain and gusting 35mph winds :evil: Probably put him off for life :(
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Seal Skinz gloves
    Seal Skinz socks
    GORE Oxygen jacket
    Rapha Epic cap under helmet

sorted :wink:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Anonymous
    How are the socks 100% waterproof AND breathable?
    I need something ALOT cheaper than the GORE Oxygen jacket, around £30-£50
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    In winter I wear Sealskinz socks and neoprene overshoes which is ok until rain soaks into my leggings and runs into the socks.It does take a while though.Similarly if you're wearing shorts,rain will run down your legs and into the socks.
    If I think it's going to rain while I'm out I have a transparent Jacket with mesh sides that I got from Argos a few years ago.It's not perfect but It keeps my top half reasonably dry.
    Good luck with your ride.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    For summer (e.g. not cold) rain, I use SPD sandals. They dry really quickly if there is a break. I've done up to 300km with intermittent (2 hour) but not constant torrential rain. Note this is not mainstream opinion.
  • Mog Uk wrote:
    willhub wrote:

Yep I would and do, lifes to short to put things on hold due to the weather.

Well, yes; but life's too short to fill it up with disagreeable activities that you don't need to do :/

If I've arranged with other people to ride on a particular day, then I ride, whatever the weather. And, you never know, sometimes it doesn't rain all day. And this time of year I find that I dry out fairly quickly when the rain stops.

But if it's just me, I don't ride in shit weather, unless it's been shit for weeks (which it has, round my way :( ).
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    willhub wrote:
    How are the socks 100% waterproof AND breathable?
    I need something ALOT cheaper than the GORE Oxygen jacket, around £30-£50

The socks are a Gore-Tex membrane so they are breathable - it's not like you are sticking plastic bags over your feet (although I've done that in the past when the weather is truly foul).

As for the jacket, sorry. I am sure there are some good jackets out there by Endura or Altura that are more in that price bracket.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the sandals....if it's really heavy rain, your shoes will eventually fill with water no matter what you're wearing. At least with sandals on, it'll run out again!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'm not too bothered about getting wet, it's futile to try and avoid getting wet in a North Wales downpour. But the thing you have to watch when you are wet is getting cold. Keep warm and it largely doesn't matter if you get wet.

Aldi had rain/wind proof jackets for £10, that's what I wear when the weather is inclement, but don't expect it to keep you dry.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    I wish they did SPD and SPD SL sandals that would be awsome. I'm going to the shops later to see what they have, cant order online I need something for saturday allthough the weather is showing as just low level cloud and no rain now but I dont know about you people but it has never been just low level cloud here with no rain at all.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    willhub wrote:
    I wish they did SPD and SPD SL sandals that would be awsome.

Shimano do them.

A quick google brings up loads of them : http://www.google.co.uk/products?client ... 1&ct=title
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr