Building my own fix wheel

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited July 2008 in Road general
Ok

I've never been mechanically minded but I really like the idea of building my own bike (maybe not the wheels) as a project does anyone have a guide/hints and tips what to avoid what to try and achieve

I'm unsure about getting a flipflop yet as I feel it's a bit of a get out clause

I guess getting a frame is the first port of call?

thanks guys and gals
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• Getting the frame is obviously a good starting point. This is because it will be far easier to get wheels to fit a frame (rear spacing) then trying to buy a frame to match the spacing of some wheels.

My top tip is that unless you are a very confident mechanic with the proper tools for the job (this can be quite an expense) get a shop to fit the bb and headset cups for you. If you get this badly wrong your frame will be ready for the bin :cry:
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It depends what tools you have, if you have BB tools already then you'll want your LBS to ream and face the headtube, fit the headset and face the BB, if you don't have bb tools then get your LBS to fit that as well.

Then it is a case of buying parts to fit the frame.
  • Clever Pun
    cool, cheers chaps... luckily the lbs guys know me already I guess I'll be talking to them a fair bit soon enough :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    The chosen frame might well of course come with b/b and h'set! Indeed most that are suitable for a fixed project DO because second-hand.

OP, the first decision is as ever how much are you looking to spend? Then, for what uses do you want the fixed? All the rest follows really....
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    er.... fitting cartridge bottom brackets is pretty easy.

headsets best left to the experts.
  • Clever Pun
    meagain wrote:

OP, the first decision is as ever how much are you looking to spend? Then, for what uses do you want the fixed? All the rest follows really....

cost isn't really a concern, especially as it'll be over a longer period of time.

I'd like a really sweet old frame, something a bit special so to speak so if anyone has some suggestions as to very nice old frames your advise would be welcome. I saw a really nice old condor frame going for about £250ish but it was too small. I'm 6'5 and will need something like a 60cm frame I think

for it's actual use bit of commuting; bit of just cycling around at the weekends.... you know, cycling :lol:

cheers berg I knew there was a sheldon page somewhere.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    At 6' 5" - I reckon you should be able to pick up a nice frame fairly cheap as there won't be many in the market for such large frames.
  • meagain
    IF this on th'bay is 1. big enough and 2. was internally sound pre-resto, then it is rather nice!

"A F Mills Track Frame Nervex 531 fixed pista
    A quality restoration of a rare british frame. Stunning"

And a bit special.

Usual disclaimers: not mine, no interest.
    d.j.
  • meagain
    And in 531C this would make an excellent base for a fixed IF it has horizontal d'outs (being 1994 it might well have verticals).

"Reynolds 531 lightweight racing bike with large frame."

Usual disclaimers.
    d.j.
  • meagain
    Final e.g.

"racer racing bike Harry Hill stronglight 531 501 Retro"

A cheap starting point!

Usual etc.

You'll get the point - plenty about!
    d.j.
  • Clever Pun
    cheers meagain

the first one looks pretty interesting and I might give it a punt

just need to refine my searching I guess
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • meagain
    refine my searching

Run "reynolds", "531", "steel", "853" , "retro", "classic" etc through Bike Components. And "10" and "12" in Bikes (most with 5 or 6 speed rears will ahve horizontal d'outs!).
    d.j.
  • Clever Pun
    thanks for your help guys....

right now... hubs... isnce it's fixed I assume track hubs are needed or are most hubs inherently 'flipflop' if you see what I mean EDIT ignore this I've just read the sheldon brown bit

I've been offered a pair of Miche Pr1mato hubs with mavic MA40 rims for £95 including tyres (but I'd change them anyways

the same bloke has some Campag Sheriffs which look awesome, possibly a little to pricey at £200 :lol: the campag rims he's got are for tubs (so I'd have to get clincher rims instead??)

Any suggestions/sage advice?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    This might help:

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/columns/bobgarage/indexb.htm

Plus the other articles on there and pictures for inspiration :)
  • Clever Pun
    nice one, thanks!
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5