New Bike - Hybrid, Racer or City Bike - Single Speed or not

agentbozo
agentbozo Posts: 2
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hi All,

I'm sure there are plenty of similar posts to this but I've got several question so thought I'd start a new thread ( apologize for the size and any waffling)

I've been cycling on an old family mountain bike with road tires for a few years now, I only cover about 4.5miles a day to work and back and it has done the job fine up till now, although it is about 15 years old and starting to show signs that it may collapse from under me at any time.

On top of this I tried a friends single speed trek soho and have started considering purchasing a more road friendly bike. My commuting distance will also be increasing to about 20 miles a day at some point during the summer. Intend on spending £250 -£300 on ebay and try to pick up a relatively new deal

So enough jibber jabber here are my questions for you:

1) Frame Size:
How important is it? i.e. I'm between 6ft and 6ft 1 and have an inseam measurenment of around 33inches ( give of take an inch) making a 58cm frame about right for me. Would I be ok going for a slightly larger 61cm frame if I found a really good deal on ebay? what would be the impact of a larger frame size?

2) Type of Bike: Hybrid, City Bike or Racer
I intend to use it on roads, canal paths, tarmac paths in parks, etc and I have been looking at this link http://www.whycycle.co.uk/bike_styles/

I'm starting to think that if I get a city bike I might as well go for a racer as there seems to be little difference ( catered for riding fast on roads but bad on not so smooth tarmac), would you agree with this?

Bearing in mind that I will soon be cycling 20 miles a day would you recommend going for a racer or a hybrid? The way I understand it, the main difference is that hybrids have a more upright riding position and therefore are more comfortable but you get more wind resistance whereas racers are the other way around. I'll obviously been testing some out but some feedback would be good. How uncomfortable are racers anyway?

3) Do I go Single Speed?
Should I go single speed or not, I've had a go on one and found it extremely enjoyable but at the same time I'm moving to crystal palace soon which has some nasty hills to climb.
What would be the requirements for going single speed or not bearing in mind the distance ( 20 miles ) I'm covering and the hilly terrain near home.
I'm moving to crystal palace which has a few nasty hills.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    this is a hard one. bikes are like shoes....... (stick with me here) generaly im a size 8 but in some brands i take a 9 or even a 7 bikes are the same you need to try them out and see how they fit. In the same way as shoes you can get some that are racy like some nike airs that may well rub horedusly if you try to run 20 miles a day in them but that comfy old plymsole just lets you keep on running all day long with out complaint. You can follow the general trends of things and get your self in to the right ball park but i would always recomend to try b4 you buy.

One thing i would say is once you have your bike get a saddle that fits you by mesuring your sitbones as that will save you alot of pain.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    the effect of going one size up is that the reach can be too much to the bars. the effect of going one size down is slightly less important as the seat can be raised and the reach adjusted through getting a different stem. (although the head tube is often shorter and can still affect things)

single speed is fun - but I wouldn't fancy a 20mile daily commute on one - I mean, I'm sure some people do do that, but i wouldn't look forward to it every day - i'd want gears for that sort of commute.

out of the hybrid / city bike / road bike - i'd go for the road bike. Ultimately faster and it uses the same wheels (generally) than the others so not losing much in terms of strength.

also look at some of the 'cyclocross' machines such as the specialized tricross - slightly beefier wheels, roadbike position, often have rack / mudguard mounts too - ideal for commuting really - doubt you'd get one for £300 sadly - they have a pretty strong following!
  • 1. Size - get a bike that fits. Buy one the wrong size and you'll risk backache and have less control. You'll end up abandoning cycling or buying another.

2. You can do most types of everyday riding on most types of bike. What is best for you can be quite personal. But a few guidelines could help:
    For urban riding you might want to sit fairly upright as it gives a better view of road conditions and is easier to look over your shoulder. Not all drop bar bikes are 'racers', and with some you can be quite upright if you ride on the tops of the bars.
    You need to be able to grab the brakes quickly and be able to stop effectively, which may be better with straight/riser bars than riding on the top of drops, even ones with supplementary bar top levers.
    Your tyres will take a lot of punishment. Thin, hard racer tyres may not be as suitable (or comfortable) on rough roads and debris as something fatter and more robust .
    You might want to fit a rack and/or mudguards - does the bike you are looking at have the necessary brackets/clearances.
    Different bikes which will all do the same job just as effectively will have a different 'feel' to them. For example - a racer might tempt you to ride head down and charge, a hybrid may feel safe and reliable, a light slick tyred MTB will feel lively and maybe quite fun. One will just feel more right for you than the others. Beg borrow and steal some to try out.

3. Wind, as well as hills, can drain your energy, so you need a gear or gears that will cope with the worst the conditions can throw at you on the day when you feel most knackered before you set off.

A good local bike shop will help you with all these things. You might not even have to pay any more than for some dodgy deal on ebay.
  • skupp
    skupp Posts: 3
    I have just completed my first 30 mile commute on a single speed, last time I rode a bike was 12 years ago.

I like the simplicity of a single speed, especially for a commuter hack, lightweight and responsive...

Only issue was one hill at Shortlands which destroyed me, maybe try to emulate the ratio of a single speed on your mountain bike, and see how that works for you.

I'm 6'1, and a 56cm frame fits me ok.

Cheers,
    Daniel.
  • for that price, i would definitely consider an edinburgh bicycle "revolution courier" (which i know i've raved about in the past but i think they're great bikes.)

whether you go single speed or 8 speed (the sane option ;) is up to you!

there's also a larger/thinner wheeled option

I don't think a road/racer is a good idea if you plan to use it on anything but tarmac, and for your budget i think something simpler will last you a lot longer.