Adjusting the reponse of disc brakes

stehgt
stehgt Posts: 3
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Im very new to biking and ive just bought a GT avalange 3.0 disc. I'm wondering if i can adjust the response of the rear brakes and the front seems to b very responsive compared to the rear.

Also, the tyres i imagine for off-road only, Will i be ok to ride the bike on road, someone told me it will just be a little noisier.?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    There are two main adjustments although it will depend on the brakes you have whether they are designed to be adjusted.

The first is lever reach and most brakes have this. Setting this determines how far from the bars the lever sits when not being used.

The second and less common adjustment is bite point which controls how much the lever moves prior to the brakes engaging.

If you tell us what the make and model of the brakes are, someone will probably be able to tell what adjustment you have and how to make the adjustments.

Off road tyres on road, no problem except they will feel heavier and slower than dedicated road tyres (more rolling resistance due to the knobbles). If you plan to only ride on the road it may be worth considering a change of tyre. If you're riding both on and off road you're better off with off road specific tyres (and even in the off road category there are different tread patterns for different conditions :roll: ).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • BoboGib
    BoboGib Posts: 73
    if its a 2008 Avalanche then it will have Tektro IO brakes. I too have one and had the same problem. If you look at the rear calliper, on the reverse side of the unit there will be an allen head bolt. If you wind that in it will put the inner pad closer to the rotor. Don't take it too far otherwise you will add resistance which you don't want.

If you look into the calliper where the pads sit you should be able to see a little bit of daylight between pad and rotor.

Hope this helps.
    exercise.png
  • stehgt
    stehgt Posts: 3
    Yes its the 2008. Thank you both for your help really appriciate it! :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    cable disc brakes - take careful set up. But they can be very adjustable: as above, lever reach, bit point (as mechaincal and uses a cable, its a case of setting pads up closer) and on some brake lever even modulation can be altered.