wheels - disc front, v-brake rear

toby_g
toby_g Posts: 37
edited June 2008 in XC and Enduro
I am looking for suggestions for a new set of wheels for my XC rig. I have a disc brake at the front, but only V-brake at the rear (older frame with no disc mounts). can anyone suggest a good light rim/wheelset, ideally a good rim-brake rim that could be used at front and rear as the best deals are usually found in pairs. However I am open to mixed suggestions, disc specific front, v-brake compatable rear. budget is £150-200 for both.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    xc717 on xt hubs from merlin
  • toby_g
    thanks for the reply, just had a look at the website and found this:

Front:
    xc717 disc black
    DT revolution black
    XT 6 bolt disc
    £67:00

Rear:
    xc717 black (v-brake)
    DT revolution black
    XT rear
    £73:00

total £140 very nice, can now splash out on the best XC tyres too :)
  • Discopooh
    Discopooh Posts: 109
    As above, I cannot fault XT's on 717 for the money
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Did you know that you can get disc converters that could make your frame disc compatible?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/A2Z-Mountain-Bike ... 286.c0.m14
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • i have that set up on my xc rig and works excellently. For wheels I went to LBS and just sussed out some rims they had laying around (pair of mavic ceramics for fifteen quid) and hubs (tenna for a front XT 6 bolt and got an LX rear from ebay).

For brakes I was running a tektro V on the back but was advised by norco forever to upgrade to an avid code 5 (I think) which, with xtr cable set and LX lever and ceramic pads works amazingly well

Front brake is a juicy 3 which works very well.

So it all works well and didn't cost me too much, prolly hundred quid in total and half of that was the juicy 3... only quirms are levers and modulation that don't match but obviousy you get used to that
    Train hard, ride easy
  • toby_g
    Hi guys, thank you for the replies.

Unfortunately I had a good look at the bike and realised that I keep spending money on it (it is over 12 years) and it really isnt up to much anymore. I am pouring money into a bike with many outdated components.

So I decided to look into getting a new bike. I will be selling my old bike to my brother (he has been using it for commuting during the week anyway), and put together some money for a 1 off purchase hopefully with no need to do any performance upgrades for a good while yet.

So after having my eye on a Cube bike for about 6 months now, I took the hit and bought myself an AMS Pro. picked it up yesterday and took it for a brief spin (with flats, need to get my spuds on it), it is B-E-A-utiful. It rides very much like the Steppenwolf Tundra my Kiwi Pal has.

here is a stock photo of the machine: bike1.jpg

Anyway I will posting up some pics and a review in the next few days (probably after the weekends ride).