Shimano vs Campagnolo

CyclingBantam
CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
I fear this might be like asking about if a helmet needs weraing or it is ok to RLJ but what is the diff between these two brands?

I get the impression that Campag stuff is more expensive but why? What is better? Does a rear mech not still do the same job?

Comments

• Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Got Popcorn, got a drink, been for a pee. I have everything I need, OK everyone you can start now.

This has to be a setup :shock: . Im not getting suckered :lol:
  • cakewalk
    cakewalk Posts: 220
    BenBlyth wrote:
    I fear this might be like asking about if a helmet needs weraing or it is ok to RLJ but what is the diff between these two brands?

I get the impression that Campag stuff is more expensive but why? What is better? Does a rear mech not still do the same job?

Well. One is made by teams of fine craftsman in a country famed for its engineering skills.

The other is made it Italy.
    "I thought of it while riding my bicycle."
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Please god no, not this one again.......... :shock: :roll:

Ben, use the search button, this topic has been covered many many times before...
  • cakewalk
    cakewalk Posts: 220
    cakewalk wrote:
    BenBlyth wrote:

Well. One is made by teams of fine craftsman in a country famed for its engineering skills.

The other is made it Italy.

So no one's interested in a decent religious war these days. What's the country coming too.
    "I thought of it while riding my bicycle."
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    A man who doesn't ride Campagnolo is only half a man.

(St John, third testament)
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    I was a Shimano man through & through...

Just put Campag on my new build - I've not even ridden it yet and I'm converted. It's a work of art.
  • Well I specifically joined the forum to give my thoughts on this one...
    Shimano is fine, my SCR has tiagra, but Campag is better. My recently acquired Bianchi has Veloce, the biggest difference is the thumb shifters on the campag stuff.
    I test rode a Shimano 105 bike and the campag one and I much preferred the latter, which suprised me as I'd never used Campag before.
    I guess I'm converted now.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    While we're at it:
    - helmets should be compulsory as there is overriding evidence that they save your life
    - you should always avoid waving/greeting anyone on a mtb or wearing team kit
    - you should go through red lights whenever possible
    anything else??
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Seriously I've also got one of each - they both change gear very effectively and the campagnolo looks better. I can't get that excited about it which probably means I'm not normal :shock:
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    Shimano is fine, my SCR has tiagra, but Campag is better. .

You forgot to add, ' in your opinion '
    exercise.png
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    cakewalk isn't quite on the ball here, he should have said;

One is made by fine traditional craftsman in the homeland of cycling, Italy and the other manufacturers fishing equipment with the odd interest in cycling equipment, designed to wear out not wear in like Campagnolo.

Ha! You started it mate!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Rich-Ti wrote:

Just put Campag on my new build - I've not even ridden it yet and I'm converted. It's a work of art.

Weren't you the guy who couldn't decide between Shimano and SRAM? We actually managed to get you to see the light?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Mog Uk wrote:
    Please god no, not this one again.......... :shock: :roll:

Ben, use the search button, this topic has been covered many many times before...

Yes, covered many times before, but I feel that this time it will be resolved once and for
    all. It will be decided and everyone will finally know the truth.

Dennis Noward
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Rich-Ti wrote:

Weren't you the guy who couldn't decide between Shimano and SRAM? We actually managed to get you to see the light?
    Yup, that was me - was a combination of Sram planning upgrades to Force later this year and Merlin having a cracking deal on Chorus that did it :P

Glad I did though 8)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Well I specifically joined the forum to give my thoughts on this one...
    Shimano is fine, my SCR has tiagra, but Campag is better. My recently acquired Bianchi has Veloce, the biggest difference is the thumb shifters on the campag stuff.
    I test rode a Shimano 105 bike and the campag one and I much preferred the latter, which suprised me as I'd never used Campag before.
    I guess I'm converted now.

Saw an old Clint Eastwood western the other night and the name Arch Stanton was on a
    tombstone that had gold buried next to it. Probably wasn't you though.

Dennis Noward
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    dennisn wrote:
    Saw an old Clint Eastwood western the other night and the name Arch Stanton was on a
    tombstone that had gold buried next to it. Probably wasn't you though.

Dennis Noward

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is one of the best films ever made.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • fto-si wrote:
    Shimano is fine, my SCR has tiagra, but Campag is better. .

You forgot to add, ' in your opinion '

Of course it's my opinion, just about every post on here is someones opinion.
    I didn't think I needed to point out that it was my opinion because in the preceeding sentence I stated that I was giving 'MY' thoughts on the subject.
    In my opinion that is sufficient imho :lol:
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Well, both do the job fine. (IMO) Campag looks better and is easier to use...buy shimano, if you want to say; functional good value for money, buy Campag if you wan't to say; I like artisan products regardless of price. (and buy SRAM if you just have to be different :P )
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is one of the best films ever made.
    "Once Upon a Time in the West" is even better!

OK, so they are BOTH made by Italian artisans...

The good = campagnolo
    The bad = sram
    The ugly = shimano

:D:D:D
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I've just bought a Campag Centaur Carbon equipped bike. Love the shifting, love the brakes and it looks stunning but I am struggling a bit with the hoods. I've got quite small hands so I didn't think they'd be a problem.

I have gone up a level or two groupset-wise. My first road bike had 9-speed Tiagra so this was a bit of a step up. I wouldn't mind trying the higher-end Shimano stuff though. I'd imagine Ultegra SL and Dura-Ace must be pretty good.

My next decision (other than whether to get a fixie/single-speed) is perhaps to go fully Campag. Now I've got the beautiful blingy carbon summer bike what do to about the other 357 days of the year? :roll:
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    but I am struggling a bit with the hoods

Whereas I like the Campagnolo hoods and struggle with the Shimano ones. Isn't it about time that each manufacturer offered a choice of hood shapes? You can choose your handlebar shape, saddle etc, why not hood shape? At least with the current ranges the different manufacturer's hoods are very different so you can choose the one that suits you, but it looks like in 2009 they are all going to be much more similar to each other...