Frame quality?

Belv
Belv Posts: 866
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
How do i tell if a frame is worth upgrading?
It is made of 7005 aluminium in a size that fits me. Forks are pretty poor and i'd like to put disc brakes on it (lugs are already present on frame and forks), but could do this for a good price. It has a deore groupset.
Are there any other questions i should be asking about the frame?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what brand? where was it made? how old?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What frame is it? Any pics? Not damaged?

Material has little to do with it, how it is made (with aluminium) is the main factor.
  • Belv
    Right, got some more details.
    supersonic wrote:
    Material has little to do with it, how it is made (with aluminium) is the main factor.
    I was hoping you wouldn't say something like that!
    The brand name on it is 'Salcano' which i can't seem to find out much about. As I said, it's got full Deore groupset but some RSI forks which i'd be upgrading if i can work out whether the frame justifies it. Condition is 'as good as new' and i know the guy so pretty confident about this (and it certainly looks it).
  • supersonic
    Salcano are purveyors of the budget bike, and I don't think the frame wouldl be anything more than basic and heavy. If you like the ride, and it fits you well, then it may be worth tailoring it, but I wouldnt go overboard.
  • Belv
    supersonic wrote:
    Salcano are purveyors of the budget bike
    Very delicately put!

Thanks for the help, i'll keep looking for my £700-spec bike for half that price :(
    No hurry.
  • supersonic
    Even 500 quid scores you some superb framed bikes - Speicalized rockhopper for instance.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    He's right Belv.

You may be better off buying a complete bike, rather than building Sourcing parts separately is not too difficult, but you'll find it works out more expensive as the complete bike purveyors get their parts in bulk and therefore cheaper.

That RockHopper that Joe was riding Monday is a fine example. The 2009 range will soon be upon us so there'll be a few bargains in the shops and on eBay.

Have you looked at the Decathlon range? Ive just sold on a RockRider 9.1 which was a great bike for the money (£600 down from 700 last year)