Faulty Cannondale headshok

superfatty
superfatty Posts: 4
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Hi

I have a Cannodale F500 with Superfatty Headshok.
I bought the bike two years ago, from Evans Cycles.

A year ago I went for the first ride of the year and found the headshok to have discharged all pressure, and the lock-off wasn't working - being a bit lazy, and having a busy year at work I never got it fixed.

In april this year I took it back to evans to get it fixed, it took two weeks, and as it was out of warranty, it cost £75 (they replaced a valve and seal I think).
One ride later, its bust again, topping out on any sort bumps, and again the lock-off not working.

I again returned it to Evans, I was told it would need another service at £75.
I pointed out I had no intention of paying for another repair, as I thought it was related to the first problem.

After a long discussion with the staff he stated that 'its a common problem with Cannondales , and that they get problems like this all the time" - I wish someone had told me this when they we're selling me the bike!!!

The bike is currently on its way to their suspension service dapartment.

I worry that I have a faulty headshok, and that I'm stuck with it, as I can't just buy another brand of fork.

Has anyone had any similar problems with Cannondales?
It would be good to hear if stuff ever got fixed or if it's still an issue.

thanks.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Their work should come with a guarantee. If the part they fitted has failed, they should replace unless they specifically explained the situation before hand.

You should be able to fit another fork with headste adaptors.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I worry that I have a faulty headshok, and that I'm stuck with it, as I can't just buy another brand of fork.

you can you know. reducer cups and a new headset then standard fork and a new wheel.

though it does seem that they are trying to pull as fast one and it was not really fixed first time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    Yeah you can get the required spacer kits.

surely any work that evans did should be warrentied, so if it fails next ride again it should be covered.

maybe send it to someone whop isn't crap, do TF do headshoks?
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    Magura also make a replacement suspension cartridge for your fork, that blows away the rubbish cannondale internals!!!

this should be cheaper than buying reducer cups, a new headset and a new fork

try your local Magura dealer for more info, or talk to Evans as they sell Magura
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    but magura have been making the Lefties for the last few years anyway...
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Iain C
    Iain C Posts: 464
    What's the theory behind those headshock things (I guess that's the 'Dale with what looks like rigid forks and the travel being between the crown and the lower race)

Is it lighter or something? Do they still do it? Short travel only I'm guessing?
  • cheers for the suggestions, I'm not going to let Cannondale or Evans get away with it that easy yet, but its good to know there are a few alternative options out there for a long term solution - if I do have to get new forks etc.

The frustrating thing is that when it was working fine, it was perfect, lovely and light weight, and the bonus of suspension.
    This was my first new bike in about 15 years - so I didn't expect to be having repeat problems with it. Doh.

Does anyone know how the lockout works on the headshok?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The "uniqueness" of Cannondales is what has always turned me away from them. Much easier to get readily available parts fixed, than custom stuff.
  • john74
    john74 Posts: 254
    the exact same thing happened to my f3 i took it to liesure lakes bikes in daventry and they put a brand new seal kit in and it only cost £30 and i have done over 2000 miles on it with no problems.
    2010 Forme Reve
    2010 Giant Talon 1
  • ostap
    ostap Posts: 2
    edited July 2008
    Curious to see why my HeadShock loses pressure, and why it klunks when locked, I actually obtained the tools (the ParkTool SPA-1 spanner and the Headshok castle tool) and opened it up.

I am not impressed by the construction but actually it does look better that I expected:

headshok_cartridge_small.png.

The cartridge (blue cylinder) had lots of air and I had to open it up and refill it with 7.5wt suspension oil. This got rid of the 'squishy' noise. There will be air again after a while, I am sure, and I will have to service it again. Beware of scratches on the central rod - they may be the source of the blown seals.

The clunking is still there if the shock is locked when fully extended but disappears if locked under a slight load.

The pressure loss happens even when the bike is stored in the garage. It is not through the Schrader valve at the bottom (I tested with a baloon tied over it) but rather past the piston, although the seal is in perfect condition. Maybe holding 90 PSI for more than a few hours is too much to expect from such air chamber construction ?
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    I had exactly the same problem with my F800SL, lost all pressure (nearly lost me front teeth when I stuffed the front wheel into a 1" kerb!), took it to the nearest 'dale dealer to fix. Next ride and £35.00 lighter, same problem. Collected the bike a couple of weeks later the shop geezer told me they'd replaced the complete cassette and tried to charge me! I told him no-godamn way and to my suprise he agreed and let me have it for nowt!

It's the only problem I've had with the headshock in 5 years, and the bike gets the worst of the winter weather. I guess this is where they score over other suspension designs as the gubbins is well protected from all the trail crap.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • BigDutch
    BigDutch Posts: 127
    The headshock is a great system when it works. I've had three 'dales with varying degrees of success - my last (F3) was the only one that had no problems with losing pressure or degrading performance.

The Magura cartridge is a great investment and pretty straightforward to fit. However, Evans work (the original repair) will be covered by a Warranty and it sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one (or the person you spoke with doesn't have a clue).

Definitely worth upgrading to that Magura cartridge when you can though.
  • ostap
    ostap Posts: 2
    superfatty wrote:

The blue cylinder (see my picture in the previous post) is filled with oil and slides along the central shaft. Inside it, on the shaft, there are mounted two disk with matching holes. When the holes are aligned, the oil passes through and you obtain the damping function. When you 'lock' the suspension, the holes are covered, the oil flow blocked and the shaft can not slide anymore.
    I don't have yet an explanation for the 'clunking' though.
  • Wag$ter
    Wag$ter Posts: 69
    I am having the same problem with my 2002 Cannondale Scalpel 800. I'm looking to get the Magura CCS to replace the HeadShok Fatty Ultra DL ayone know if it will fit? also anyone tested it?
  • v193542
    v193542 Posts: 1
    I am from Australia and I have returned my Ultra (from a Bad Boy 2007) 4 times under warranty. My bike mech said that Cannondale had some internal shocks built in America that where faulty. but to test that have to disassemble (destroy in other words) to find out if it is a faulty unit that has been assembled.? Unreal. I rue the day I bought the thing. Although it has not cost a cent to fix (warranty)
  • My headshok is also going back on my Bad Boy Ultra 2008. Has anyone bought the Magura yet?
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    Does anyone know how much a headshok DLR fork costs brand new?
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    nicklouse wrote:

you can you know. reducer cups and a new headset then standard fork and a new wheel.

Why a new wheel?
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    ostap wrote:
    superfatty wrote:

The blue cylinder (see my picture in the previous post) is filled with oil and slides along the central shaft. Inside it, on the shaft, there are mounted two disk with matching holes. When the holes are aligned, the oil passes through and you obtain the damping function. When you 'lock' the suspension, the holes are covered, the oil flow blocked and the shaft can not slide anymore.
    I don't have yet an explanation for the 'clunking' though.
    from my basic understanding of suspension dampers, i would say that the clunk is caused by the chambre having a small amount of air in it, or from being assembled slightly hyperextended.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • mrwibble
    put the lock out on, if the fork has movement up and down then the oil is leaked and air has got into the oil chamber
  • mrwibble
    put the lock out on, if the fork has movement up and down then the oil is leaked and air has got into the oil chamber
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Been reading your thread ref the shock issue.,
    ive got the Dale F700 version but ive got a reducer headset in and running Marzocchi xc 500 forks with no issue,
    but im after a set of Fatty's if anyone wants a px.