Looking 4 a flat bar

judokev
judokev Posts: 49
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Hi All I have decided to get a road bike to boost my fitness, been going out regularly on my mtb an old style Carrera Gryphon and I was looking at the new one but didnt like the review it got.
I want to be able to put different tyres on it so I can go on track or cannal if I want to.
Probably be looking at doing 1-2hr rides that I can fit around other training/ work but if the bug bites then it will be longer when time allows

I am only looking at spending between £300-£400 but there are still loads of bikes out there any info or review sites you can give me would be great.

Cheers kev. :P

Comments

• Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I also wanted to get a Flat Bar road bike but most are sold as Hybrids and have road wheels and brakes but MTB gearing ratio's, which I didn't want as I already have 2 MTB's. I got the Scott Speedster S30 Flat Bar, but this is a little above your stated budget. Scott also do an S60 Flat Bar which is currently £359.10 at Pedals Cycle Centre.

http://www.pedalscyclecentre.co.uk/prod ... p241&rs=gb

My advice would be to keep the MTB for off-road and if you want to ride tarmac, get the Scott as well. :D
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • judokev
    Cheers for that I will take a look at the Scott bikes. Plan is to keep my other bike and like you say get another for the roads i just want to be able to go on cycle tracks as well as there are quite a few in my area (chorley).

How does your bike handle the hills I will probably be up in the Lakes quite a bit as the mother in law lives up there lucky me hey!!

cheers Kev :P
  • Cheshley
    my particular bike struggles uphill but that's because it has 17 n half stone of very unfit yorkshireman on it!!!!!!!!!

I find it's fine but this is the first road bike I've had since I was 15 so I don't really have anything to compare it to. Even someone as unfit as me was surprised at how easily (and quickly) the miles roll by. The only problem I've had with it was the seat post wasn't long enough to get good leg extension so I've had to buy a longer one, but I'm 6ft 5 so that may not be a problem for most riders. The Scott Website shows Leisure Lakes and Wallis Cycles (both in Preston) to be dealers so pop in and have a look.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • judokev
    Hey now come on guys and girls over 200 viewings give me some feed back anything is good?

Anyone think I shouldnt be going for flat bars?
    anyone recommend a bike shop in the preston area? or any to avoid?

I have looked at the Scott speedster on the Web and it looks good anyone out there got one or anything similar?

Cheers Kev

:lol:
  • Cheshley
    Looks like it's just us 2 riding flat bars!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Cheshley
    another option for you to look at . . . . . . . . .

http://www.tredz.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=9344
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• judokev
    Hi Cheshley, Found a speedster s60 fb the other day for £260 how about that, but the frame was an XL so no good to me. it looked like a nice bike though.

What do you think about the Giant FCR 2? I can go look at a 07 model for £395 or a FCR 3 07 for £280 or anyone else other than us two who likes flat bar bikes?

Judokev :roll:
  • Cheshley
    Mornin mate,

That's a cracking price for the s60 but unless your legs are as long as mine you're gonna struggle to get the pedals to go all the way round!!!!!!

I'm no expert on road bike components but comparing the S30 and S60 you lose the carbon forks and drop from 30 gears to 24 as well as reducing the quality of all the other components. Looking at the Giant FCR2, you retain the carbon composite forks and 27 gears. I would consider this above the Scott on these points alone because it's (slightly) lighter than the Scott and the carbon forks (apparently) provide a little flex and therefore a more comfortable ride. The FCR3 is a rigid alloy and if your budget will go to the FCR2 I wouldn't be considering it.

One thing to be aware of, as someone who is used to riding a mountain bike, the first time you ride a road bike you will (as I was) be struck at how ineffective the brakes appear to be. You'll (possibly) be used to having brakes that you can stand the bike on it's nose with but a road bike is completely different and I posted on this forum when I got mine because I was concerned that the brakes just weren't working, but apparently they are supposed to be like that!!!!!!!!

Anyway, if you can find the FCR2 locally I would certainly go and have a sit on it.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• doktorsteve
    doktorsteve Posts: 112
    Sorry Judokev, I should have read this first. Why do you want flat bars?
    I got a Giant MTB after riding a road bike for may years. It was great to have brakes that worked, nice wide bars, upright position, loads of gears etc.
    Last year I bought the SCR after trying a mates carbon frame racer. I was struck by the bars which are nice and wide, the similar riding position and enough gears.
    I also get lots of places to put my hands on the bars depending on what I am trying to do. If you are going for 1 or 2 hour rides then I think you should consider drops. It makes a hell of a difference if you can get down low into a headwind.
    I am also riding for fitness but I find that riding at a decent speed is a great motivator.

best of luck

Steve
    100% ME!
    Do you think I would be this bad on drugs?
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I wanted a new road bike with flat bars and low gears and failed to find anything on the market so I assembled my own based on a Kinesis Racelight TK08 aluminium frame. I haven't regretted it. Assembling a pedal cycle isn't very difficult although it may be slightly more expensive than buying 'ready-rolled'. It also has the advantage of allowing your choice of components.

Arthritis in neck and shoulders make the drop position useless for me and I find narrow straights that mimic the top of the bars position with bar ends for variety and climbing give me as many riding positions as I need. I was glad of the 44/32/22 chainset (12/25 cassette) on my rather inelegant, but successful, assault of the Ventoux and Aspin last month :)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • judokev
    Hi Geoff_SS and doktorsteve, more people yeah

I did 17miles the other week in an 1hr10mins, now that was in the top gear on my mtb which is more of a hybrid I think, its a carerra gryphon about 8years old and never really seemed to be going fast enough thought I should have covered more miles.

I did have a normal racer over in holland a few years back and it seemed lots faster but felt a bit stooped over plus I like to be able to look about, people I see on drops always seem to be head down going like mad but not really looking about? that will get you all shouting at me

If I am looking at Scott speedster s60fb or Giant FCR 2 then these are geared up as road bikes arent they? I should be able to expect lots more speed for the same work? so more miles in less time means I will start doing more miles which should mean more fitness am I on the right lines here?

Thanks guys Judokev :wink:
  • meanwhile
    meanwhile Posts: 392
    Cheshley wrote:
    I also wanted to get a Flat Bar road bike but most are sold as Hybrids and have road wheels and brakes but MTB gearing ratio's

Well, Sirrus's (Sirrii?) certainly geared this way. But if you like a bike and the gearing is wrong, just negotiate - hard - a change with your bike shop. I'd expect to pay the difference in component costs plus between £10 and nothing for labour.
  • meanwhile
    judokev wrote:

I am only looking at spending between £300-£400 but there are still loads of bikes out there any info or review sites you can give me would be great.

Cheers kev. :P

Re. review sites, there's one here, under "Bikes and Gear". Otherwise just google the name of the bike and "review".

I think that a Marin will just scrape into your price limit, and I've never heard of a bad one. You'll get an excellent frame, lower spec components some rivals (partly cost of the brand name, partly of better welding on the frame), and MTB brakes and flat bars connected to 26 or 700C wheels.

But I think an even better bet would be an Edinburgh Bike Co-op Revolution Courier. The regular models start at about £200, I think, but I'd pay £300 and get a disc brake model in either the 26 or 700c wheel size. Lots of good reviews and net feedback, the stores have a good rep, and I'd liked the bikes when I looked them over in Manchester. (They've several stores outside of Scotland, and sell over the web.)

Charge have an excellent rep for flat bar bikes; you might scrape their lower end for £400. If you could go £700-£800 you could have the Mix (or Mixer?) which is Tange Prestige hydraulic disc brake alfine hubbed fireball that I'd rather have than a Sirrus costing twice the price, but I probably shouldn't tempt you.
  • meanwhile
    judokev wrote:
    Hi Geoff_SS and doktorsteve, more people yeah

I did 17miles the other week in an 1hr10mins, now that was in the top gear on my mtb which is more of a hybrid I think, its a carerra gryphon about 8years old and never really seemed to be going fast enough thought I should have covered more miles.

I did have a normal racer over in holland a few years back and it seemed lots faster but felt a bit stooped over plus I like to be able to look about, people I see on drops always seem to be head down going like mad but not really looking about? that will get you all shouting at me

If I am looking at Scott speedster s60fb or Giant FCR 2 then these are geared up as road bikes arent they? I should be able to expect lots more speed for the same work? so more miles in less time means I will start doing more miles which should mean more fitness am I on the right lines here?

Gearing only makes you go faster if you're spinning out. The main tweaks to speed up a hardtail MTB are better slick tyres (Conti Sports Contacts are good) and setting the bike right, with enough saddle height and not too high bars. Of course, once the bars are really low you might almost as well be riding drops, except for the better braking position .

Beside flats, you could also look at riding with standard drops or MIdge bars set higher than the current fashion. Google "Rivendell bikes" and look for their advice on bike fit, and "Midge bars".
  • 2Fast4Love
    2Fast4Love Posts: 123
    As far as I'm aware the Cannondale flat bar road bikes are exactly that - gearing ratios as the road bikes but with flat handlebars.

Road version: http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/08/ce/model-8RAS1T.html

Flat bar: http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/08/ce/model-8HAS1T.html
    Rides a Cannondale Synapse 105.
  • Rezillo
    Rezillo Posts: 95
    I started cycling in my late forties three years ago and for various reasons needed a flat bar bike. However, I share an earlier poster's opinion on liking being able to see the countryside around you at all times. I cycle for fitness and pleasure but not out and out speed, although I will occasionally try to beat my own times on familiar routes.

I started with a Subway 1 then after a year a Dawes 601, which is in the op's price range, albeit that mine was an earlier model. I've had the Dawes for two years and been very happy with it but be warned - if you spend £400 on a bike it won't be long before you're hankering for something even better!

In my case, it took two years. I started looking for something more like a road bike but still a flat bar and got a bit stuck. There are one or two pricy ones with carbon frames but they seemed ott for me. Eventually, I thought the Genesis Day 02 fitted the bill and my LBS was an agent so I went to see them. The shop was too small to stock this for viewing and I asked about a custom build. They were a bit reluctant as they thought they couldn't match the price but tried a rough spec match based on a Ridley Aeron frame. To their surprise, it came out slightly cheaper. As I still had some budget left, they suggesting upping the wheel spec and one or two other changes and I ended up with this last week:

http://www.whimsy.myzen.co.uk/stuff/bike.jpg

I'm really pleased with it and the ride quality, even on newly surfaced rural roads, is miles better than the Dawes. It also seems to leap away from junctions and someone appears to be helping to push me up hills, although my overall average speed hasn't hugely changed.

John
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Look at the Ridgeback Flight and Genesis range of bikes.

Basically a road bike with flat handle bars.

My Flight T3 flies along the roads.
  • Roger_This
    Roger_This Posts: 136
    I'll second that. Had my Flight T1 since Feb, and love it - fast and comfortable. And it's 350 quid in the shops.
  • judokev
    Right thanks everyone been reading the forum now for what seems like weeks and I think I am ready to go and try out a couple of bikes,

Here is the thing in the past I have had a quick spin on a bike see what it feels like and thats that flash the cash and away you go. From what I have read here I should be getting a bike fitting and the shop should be really keen and helpful ?

One shop I am going to I went in a few months ago to have a nose about and the guy there just didnt seem interested, the bike I am going to look at is the Giant FCR 2 07 its a bit cheaper than some of the others that have been suggested but I have looked at them all, should this put me off if I get the same sort of thing again?

Is a road bike the same as a mountain bike you get on it and if its right it feels right?

And aint it funny I must have seen 15 plus guys out and about on Flat bar bikes in the last two weeks but I been going the other way in the car! Doh

Judo kev :lol:
  • caeser
    caeser Posts: 8
    you can convert a dopped bar racer into a flat bar very easy most shop should do this free as sti units are cheaper than flat bar componants. try a look at claud butler lavante its well speced for the money, also the roubaix this is a dropped bar with triple sora and mudguard clearance you should find 07 modals still at under £400 both have carbon forks.
    the gearing ratio on both are a bit high but again a shop should change his free at time of purchase my self i have a roubaix with mudguards a 11-30 cassette changed the rear derralier to deore to cope with 30 tooth ,it rides well and gets up most hills no problem.
  • meanwhile
    Rezillo wrote:
    I started cycling in my late forties three years ago and for various reasons needed a flat bar bike. However, I share an earlier poster's opinion on liking being able to see the countryside around you at all times. I cycle for fitness and pleasure but not out and out speed, although I will occasionally try to beat my own times on familiar routes.

One sensible option that gets lost in debates with the you-must-have-drops crowd is getting a wide comfy drop bar like a 48cm Noodle bar and putting extension levers on. The modern ones really do work. Doing this, and setting the drops sensibly instead of fashionably low, gives decent flat and dropped positions. The drops are very useful for cutting into headwinds.

However, if you fancy this and buy a drop bike, make sure that it can take at least 32 and ideally 38mm tyres - a lot of drop bikes can only go to 28 or less, which messes up the handling for anything but racing.
  • Hi Everyone,

Just realized I hadn't finished this post off.

I did get the Giant FCR2 got the bike from Winstanleys for £370 a bargain I think.
    Had the bike for about a month now but only been getting out on it about three times a week due to weather work etc...

The bike is really nice to ride loads easier than my mtb thats for sure, gearing isnt set right and I get a nasty noise from the crank area when I am putting any real effort in or going up a hill but hopefully get this sorted as soon as.

Just don't try to phone Winstanleys the phone just rings and rings and...........................................................

Thanks to everyone for all the advice

Kev