Great Dun Fell

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
Having ridden the private road up to the radar station on Lowther Hill (725 m) at the weekend, I set about looking for higher roads in the UK. The private road to the radar station on Great Dun Fell in the Lakes looks to be the highest in the UK, going up to 848 m. Anyone ridden it?
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    We set out to ride up it 3 weeks ago, but were driven back by torrential rain and a gale by the half way point. It's certainly quite steep on the lower slopes. A friend who has ridden it a number of times, really rates it as a climb, so we will be back to have a look in the next few weeks. It's got to be done!
  • DaveyL
    Do you reckon this an accurate gradient profile from what you saw?

http://ciclismo.sitiasp.it/altimetria.aspx?id=1702
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • nickwill
    DaveyL wrote:
    Do you reckon this an accurate gradient profile from what you saw?

http://ciclismo.sitiasp.it/altimetria.aspx?id=1702
    Probably, but I think there are very short steeper sections at a greater gradient. However, it's surprising what driving rain and a stiff headwind can do to your perception of a slope! It's all eminently rideable from what I have seen and heard.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    It's a great climb, am jealous. Last time I went up the final third were in the thickest fog of all time which added to its mystery. Not steep, just long.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • DaveyL
    Not steep? Its average gradient's over 7%! There must be some steep bits in it...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • bulldicker
    bulldicker Posts: 61
    nickwill, would be interested in joining you on a ride to the radar station, when you thinking of going?
  • nickwill
    bulldicker wrote:
    nickwill, would be interested in joining you on a ride to the radar station, when you thinking of going?
    It all tends to be a bit ad hoc. A group of us meet up in Kendal, and decide where we are going that day. This depends on who turns up and the weather etc. I'll PM you later and maybe we can organise something.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    DaveyL wrote:
    Not steep? Its average gradient's over 7%! There must be some steep bits in it...
    "Not steep like Hardknott Pass" is more accurate.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • DaveyL
    :D
    Le Blaireau (1)