otley evening road race 26th june

stueyc
stueyc Posts: 518
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
anyone been?...going to this and wondered if any tips on parking,good spots to spectate etc?

Comments

• DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    stueyc wrote:
    anyone been?...going to this and wondered if any tips on parking,good spots to spectate etc?

Been to 2 editions of this in the past - top night out! As a non-driver, the only parking advice I can offer is get there nice and early! There are quite a number of road closures well before the programme gets going, plus of course no parking is available on the race route. Some parking suggestions that spring to mind whilst roads are still all open; Walkergate (public car park near library & bus station), Waitrose (poss. customers only?), The Yeoman pub on Gay Lane (patrons only, so do the decent thing and pop in for a swift half and a bag of crisps!). Think there's also at least one other public car park on the way down to the river, near the United Reformed Church.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • stueyc
    cheers David

i live south of leeds so know the area a little.....hoping to get there around 3-4ish and make the most of the evening

maybe a few beverages as i wait for the action to start!!!!
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    stueyc wrote:
    cheers David

i live south of leeds so know the area a little.....hoping to get there around 3-4ish and make the most of the evening

maybe a few beverages as i wait for the action to start!!!!

Oh, and as for a good viewing point, the sweeping bend before the start/finish area (near Chevin Cycles, Smith's furnishers and The Junction pub) is a good place and one where spectators aren't always packed in like sardines. Unlike The Junction itself, where spectators do tend to be packed in like sardines in between laps!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • stueyc
    Thanks again David......should be good night