Beginners Brake Problem

mattfinch
mattfinch Posts: 36
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys,

Hopefully you can help with what is hopefully a simple problem, but my noob skills (or lack of) are causing me problem fixing it!

I have a Hard Tail GT with mechanical disk brakes (I think Tektro on the rear and Hayes on the front)... and i am having a problem with the brake rotor constantly engaged with one of the brake pads.

Its the pad that is associated with the side you can adjust (rather than the side that is engaged via the brake lever / cable). I have adjusted the bolt that allows you to alter the position (the one with the allen key) but its as far out as it will go.

I'm getting a bit stuck now as to what to do... i dont want to ride anymore against this resistance! But can't seem to get the rotor to spin without touching either of the pads.

Hopefully i havent missed anything obvious out of the post! Please help!!!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    re align the caliper. undo the caliper to adaptor bolts and adjust the caliper to where you need it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mattfinch
    thanks for the reply mate...

I'm really sorry, being a noob, im not quite sure where you mean!? Do you mean adjust where the whole brake unit sits on the forks?

Is there a techy article somewhere where you could point me in the direction of a photo or something!?!
    :oops:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a look on the parktools webby (link in sig).

Pictures of your actual brakes would help.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • colbird12
    colbird12 Posts: 7
    See this link for info

http://www.krankdirtwear.com/fix-your-b ... rkshop.pdf

hope it helps
  • mattfinch
    Brilliant mate, exactly what i was after.

Thanks all.