horrible screetching noise from brakes

Felix-da-house-mouse
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
hi,

on my 3 month old marin my brakes which are Hayes Stroker TRAIL Hydraulic Disc with V7 Rotors, and when i pulkl either brake theres a really horrible scratching noise like running your nails down a blackboard stylee. whats causing the noise? its not when i put them full i.e to cause a skid just when i use them to slow down. do they need degreased and cleaned up or what?
felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you have got them contaminated.

have a read of the topic in the MTB FAQ's but as it is so new take it to the supplying shop for fixing before you try anything.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    They are mouse powered, little mice in the callipers turn kinetic energy into sound energy thus slowing you down. If it's not an old bike, why not take it back to the store and ask them to look at it. It might need new pads to solve the problem though make sure all the bolts are nice and tight around the rotor and caliper.
  • yeah i will do, needs its 1st service anyway. is this common then?
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    It can be, My cheap discs on the hardtail have just started a little bit. Haven't looked into it yet. Hopes are renown for their squeeky nature and it can be bloody hard to stop them. Some people have gone so far as to make their own steel wedge to live behind the pads which changed the angle of attack of the brake pad on the rotor - so the back hits first then the more you squeeze the closer the front comes into contact. If the front hits first then the forces make the pad rattle around. But I doubt that's the only cause behind squeeks. If the noise has only recently started then try cleaning your rotors with water and a clean cloth - but not any kind of spirits or fuel unless it says specifically - 'disc rotor cleaner' on the tin.
    On the plus side, if you get hassled by hikers complaining you haven't got a bell, give em a warning tinkle of your brakes! I like to treat ignorance with arrogance.