Best shoes (non clipless)?

Rebel Ian
Rebel Ian Posts: 17
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Firstly, as I'm new, I guess an intro is in order. I've got back into cycling again in the last few weeks and am loving it. As a teenager I cycled hundreds of miles each week but have not been in the saddle for many many years. I'm raising money for charity later this year which is what's prompted me to start again. Wish I'd done it sooner.

I bought myself a Specialized Allez Triple and it's great. Not the best or most expensive bike out there but perfect for me and what I want to do. The debate is shoes. I don't want clipless pedals as my routes are too stop/start and am happy with toeclips but could do with some better shoes than standard trainers.

Most of the shoes out there seem to be for either mountain bikes or the clipless system. Is there anything suitable for use in conjunction with toeclips?

Thanks for any help. Ian :) .

Comments

• Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    There is a reason why neraly all shoes are for clipless - toeclips are shite. Seriously try clipless (MTB type or road) and you will never go back. Twisting out is as easy as pulling back and you lose the need to flip the pedal to get all that junk up top.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Seriously, clipless is best for road, you can see where the traffic is stopping and clipout.

I thought it woul be a nightmare, once you're used to it, it's fine.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, get yourself some SPD clipless cycling shoes, they have stiffer soles so are better for cycling and you can use them with your toe clips. When you decide to try clipless (and you will) you just need some pedals and fit the cleats to your existing shoes.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    if you are doing "stop/start" routes in toeclips then imo you are askign for trouble! - toeclips are too restrictive in my opinion and clipless pedals are far better. - easier and faster to disengage and easier to get into too.

go for SPD if you need to wear shoes in which you can walk - they are cheap and easy to use - you will get used to them in seconds and they will help you with pedalling efficiency.