Noise from gears

lmannion
lmannion Posts: 8
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hi Guys, Ive just started riding a road bike after riding a mountain bike for the last couple of years.
I seem to get a bit of noise which seems to be coming from the crank when its on the 39 tooth ring at the front and the smallest at the back, which I think is an 11.
I have looked at the crank as I pedal but cant see anything obvious.
Is this common when in the gear that I mention, could it be the rear mech as I'm on the two smallest rings?

Any help/ideas would be great.

Cheers.

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    It will be the chain catching on the front mech because it is running at too great an angle. You only have eight sprockets available from each chainring at most, not a problem as you will be able to find a very similar ratio from the other ring and one of the larger sprockets.
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    When I'm on the small chainwheel and small sprocket(34-11) the angle of the chain causes it to slightly touch the big chainwheel.No interference with the front mech.
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    Yep, it's a case of the classic :

"Doctor, it hurts when I do ... "

"Well, don't do it then!"

That gear combo is not intended to be used as the chain fouls on the front mech or other chainrings and the angle of the chain also puts it under unnecessary strain. Try changing to your big ring and your 14 or 15 at the rear for the same gear without the noise.
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    Yep, it's a case of the classic :

"Doctor, it hurts when I do ... "

"Well, don't do it then!"

That gear combo is not intended to be used as the chain fouls on the front mech or other chainrings and the angle of the chain also puts it under unnecessary strain. Try changing to your big ring and your 14 or 15 at the rear for the same gear without the noise.

That's why I don't use it!
  • jed1978
    jed1978 Posts: 87
    it is defo the chain rubbing against other cogs
  • lmannion
    lmannion Posts: 8
    Thanks for the replies so far, I will just have to get used to the gears, like I said its my first road bike, that first ring is massive.

Ive been out 3 times since I picked it up on Saturday, and it seems to be getting a bit easier, although it does'nt seem I'm going massively faster that on my other bike as I dont have a computer on it yet I cant tell.

The thing with the noise is that it is'nt constant like its rubbing, its like a noise that comes an goes, probably like 2 times per rotation of the crank.
    Anyway, its my birthday on Sunday, I'll get a computer for my bike then, I'll be interested to see what my average speed is, on the mountain bike it was about 18-20 miles an hour.

I'll let you know next week.

Tell you a funny story that might ring a chord though, the first time I was on the road bike I'd done a couple of miles and thought, blimey this is harder than I thought.Got home told the wife, that bike is slower than the mountain bike. I picked up the front end span the wheel round, and the brake pad was rubbing on the rim, no wonder.

I had to laugh, anyone else been there?

Cheers.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    lmannion wrote:
    Tell you a funny story that might ring a chord though, the first time I was on the road bike I'd done a couple of miles and thought, blimey this is harder than I thought.Got home told the wife, that bike is slower than the mountain bike. I picked up the front end span the wheel round, and the brake pad was rubbing on the rim, no wonder.

Cheers.
    I was going up a big hill a couple of weeks ago. I was absolutely straining away, sweating like a pig and finding it so much harder than usual. When I got to the top, thinking I had better stop for fear of bursting a blood vessel, I realised my rear tyre was flat as a pancake. It's amazing how much difference a few pounds of air pressure can make!

Another time I found that I really had to squeeze the brakes to get any sort of retardation. When I got home, I noticed I'd forgot to close the brakes after replacing the front wheel.

Oh yes - we've all been there! :D
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    lmannion wrote:
    I picked up the front end span the wheel round, and the brake pad was rubbing on the rim, no wonder.

Cheers.

Once did 25 miles with the back brake binding :oops:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.