Roadies

Dazzza
Dazzza Posts: 2,364
edited June 2008 in The Crudcatcher
Now i appreciate them, i mean they have a love of cycling but don't some of you find they are right up themselves, they really love looking down on mountain bikers never mind half of them probably ride road bikes.

Riding up a hill past my lbs a white and pink trials bike just couldn't resist passing, me i cba as it was the end of my 47mile epic but it wasn't half funny seeing him struggling in the one gear. :lol:

Got some right stares after wearing my giro ionos rodie lid as well. :lol:

Just what is it with them.

I don't have a problem with roadies hell im half tempted to turn to the dark side myself.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
Giant Anthem X

Comments

• Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    Ride road and MTB me self (mostly road though)and can say that most roadies are fine...give a nod, "alright mate", wave but there is the select few who do came across as arrogant and I truly don't think they mean to be.

I'm not trying to make excuses for all roadies but I know when I'm on my TT training ride I get tunnel vision and I focus on my goal....clearing the course as quickly as possible, so I tend not to see other cyclists. I'm not being arrogant just focused (that and the fact I'll have the loudest Rock music in my ears!!!). Don't get me wrong If you were right in front of me and I overtook you you'd get a "hello", "Alright bud" or some other greeting/small talk , It would be the same if you were thundering down a twisty bit of S/Track...you'd be SO focused on your lines you'd probably miss all sorts!!

I've even blanked the wife when I've been focused on my ride....apparently I rode right past her one day!!!! :oops: . So I don't think they do it to look down on you or up themselves....just concentrating!!!

Also you need to come over to the darkside.......we have cookies! :lol:
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • Dazzza
    Haha well it doesn't help my lbs is really into their road bikes and i do fancy the change of scenery.

I do quite fancy the focus bikes though and im sure they have a good rep, something maybe £1000 or so to get me going.

It wasn't a bash at roadies thread more a general observation, i have noticed though some didn't like me wearing a rodie lid as i mentioned above either that or they liked it heh.

I understand being in the zone focusing purely on your cadence and trying not to overdo it, but some are clearly noticing me and just plain blanking me out for riding an mtb, not that does irk me somewhat, especially that ive been biking for years, granted i had a reprieve of sever years and also been a member of a few clubs that have been and gone.

Oh god he said cookies, they had better not be foxes chunkies or im in trouble..... :lol:
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Denny69
    Dazzza wrote:
    It wasn't a bash at roadies thread more a general observation, i have noticed though some didn't like me wearing a rodie lid as i mentioned above either that or they liked it heh.

:D I realise it wasn't a bash at roadies Dazzza :wink:
    Dazzza wrote:
    but some are clearly noticing me and just plain blanking me out for riding an mtb

But these guys......now that's an altogether different kettle of fish.....some people just decide to judge others on an impulse...... :roll: Doesn't take 2 seconds to acknowledge someone.

Do you really want to spend £1000 on a bike straight away? What happens if you don't like road riding? You can still get a decent bike for say £700 and if you like it use the other £300 to kit your self out or upgrade the odd part. I paid £350 for my roadie and I love it, it's my baby!
    Dazzza wrote:
    Oh god he said cookies, they had better not be foxes chunkies or im in trouble..... :lol:

Come to the darkside my padawan and find out!!!! :wink: :twisted:

Happy riding

Denny
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Dazzza wrote:
    my 47mile epic

47? Epic? Tell me there were hills, lots of hills.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    47 miles is a long way when MTBing (I think)!

Denny - when it comes to bikes, our Dazza doesn't "do" cheap!

:lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't hate roadies. I'm not that specific. i just hate everyone :evil:

• Dazzza
    will3 wrote:
    Dazzza wrote:
    my 47mile epic

47? Epic? Tell me there were hills, lots of hills.

Take mtb miles and multiply by three that's the general consensus of mtb miles vs road miles, 47 is very damn long i wouldn't say i was hammered but towards the end i was feeling it, i should be nipping out later if the weather holds.

Matt, well what's the point, denny if i sit on a cheap bike i will most certainly notice and probably hate it, i have ahem expensive taste i mean how many bikes have carbon brake levers. :lol:

I had a look at a £500 trek and it felt cheap to me, gears weren't crisp, brakes weren't as sharp rest of it seemed decent enough, i may just build it up bit by bit from online retailer specials or ebay.

The frame being the most important factor naturally oh and aero bars. ;)

Last time i was on a road bike i was umm 15 now going on 34 :oops:

It has two wheels and a set of pedals, im bound to love it. :D

Though my arse did sit rather high i noticed............
    Giant Anthem X
  • Denny69
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    47 miles is a long way when MTBing (I think)!

Denny - when it comes to bikes, our Dazza doesn't "do" cheap!

:lol::lol:

Happy riding

Denny
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...I'm all for dropping this roadie and mountain biker stuff and replacing it with one all encompasing word...errrrmmmmm...I know...cyclist... :D 8)
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Anonymous
    Bah, I'm not a cyclist.
    Road cyclist.....
    Montain biker.....

That makes me a biker :lol:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Bah, I'm not a cyclist.
    Road cyclist.....
    Montain biker.....

That makes me a biker :lol:

i am an 'er.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    haha!
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...when I'm on my mountain bike, I'm a roadie in disguise...and when I'm on my road bike, I'm a mountain biker in disguise :? ...now what about when I'm on my hybrid? :roll:
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I think it goes both ways, if you see some of the comments mountain bikers make about roadies on forums I would question which group is "up themselves!"

I often pass by a very popular MTB trail while out on the road bike and always give a nod or wave to any MTBers I see on the road. Some acknowledge, some blank.

Of course many MTBers road bike and vice-versa.
  • Denny69
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...when I'm on my mountain bike, I'm a roadie in disguise...and when I'm on my road bike, I'm a mountain biker in disguise :? ...now what about when I'm on my hybrid? :roll:

Just in disguise!!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • Dazzza
    Well i had a busy roadie stick his hand up today, and not the two fingered fariety so it's all gravy.
    Giant Anthem X